Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW 13th-20th July. I made the title look different!

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: July 20, 2008 (04:38 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Balls to Venter being all smug about being on time. I live in a different (and, I might add, VASTLY SUPERIOR) time zone and spat out no less than two review today. If I wasn’t staff, and they were allowed, they would have come first and second today. Except only one review per person.

See that? That’s an original way to reillustrate the rules. Man, I’m so awesome.

FIRST
The Getaway (PS2) Wolfqueen

Here’s an odd phrase: This person also decided it’d be a good idea to totally forego any sort of plot whatsoever, allowing the player a choice on whether he or she followed it or simply rampaged through the city.

You say there’s no plot, then say that the player has the choice to follow it or not. I’m complaining early because this review really does highlight how far you’ve come since you stumbled through Xena way back when. There’s no real killer lines to point out, no poetic prose; what you do is deliver a solid review that tells me what I need to know about the game and rarely makes any mistakes in doing so. I know the game’s frustrating and I know why. I know what works and what doesn’t, and I know why. And you intertwine the plot throughout everything; nothing is overbearing.

Good job.

SECOND
Gleylancer (GEN) Dagoss

Oh, I’m on to you. Want to sub on my week and get some advanced feedback on how to up your BWHY score? Not on my watch, bucko. You just get the placement and will have to wait on your feedback.

That’s how I roll. With valid excuses that let me do less work.

THIRD
Lost Winds (WII) Disco

The review is a little jumpy in a way I’ve never seen before. You tend to say “This is good but then here’s a bad thing. This game is bad, but then here’s a good thing.” and so on. I like all the stuff in between, and you describe the game well within this odd structure, but it feels like being on a see-saw, I’m constantly bobbing up and down.

That’s not to say it’s not effective, though. I find myself really liking how the game seems to work, what with drawing in gusts of wind. But you don’t let the novelty sell you and point out the negatives convincingly. It’s a very solid review held down only by something I’m probably the only person that it bothers in the first place. Sorry!

Epsiga threw out a kooky little review that VM is too geeky even to acknowledge despite the dedication and we were treated to another solid review from Zipp, who’s review did run on a little too long at points (and misuses it’s instead of its now and then), but was still informative and for the PS3, which, I’m told, is a change! Good week this time around, kids; be sure to give Suskie hell next turn around.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: goldenvortex
Posted: July 20, 2008 (06:09 PM)

Emp, Add the game you asked me to review for the contest to the database so i can submit my review....

Good RotW

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: July 21, 2008 (04:21 AM)

I didn't know this was your week. Now I just feel unloved that I don't comments.

Wolfqueen's review totally deserved to win.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: July 21, 2008 (06:46 AM)

Good RotW. I like it when these things are on time because it makes the entire event that much better. I'm also glad WQ won. I proofread this review for her, but I only directed her to make minor edits. I think she did a fine job.

I haven't read the other two reviews that placed, but I will when I can. Congrats to everyone involved.

I probably won't sub anything for Suskie to read over this week because I'm still returning from my self-imposed reviewing vacation, but we'll see if anything turns up.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: July 22, 2008 (01:47 PM)

Wow. Thanks, guys! I honestly didn't expect to win this round - I thought disco's was better than mine - but then again, I always say this. And then I always get proven wrong.

Congrats to everyone else, too.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.