Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week, 24-30 July 2011 (bloomer)

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: August 01, 2011 (07:43 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Review of the Week, 24-30 July 2011

First Place

EmP's Neptune's Pride review (PC)

Potentially an unusual choice, but this is an unusual review. EmP narrates his way, blow by blow, through an entire campaign of Neptune's Pride, sketching out all the machiavellian scheming that went on, and certainly glorifying himself in the process. It seems like a long review but crucially I found it a gripping read from end to end. It makes use of an atypical approach and seems to accurately capture the spirit of this game.

I didn't actually know what a '4x strategy game' was before I read this (well, I knew what it was, but I didn't know the term). As I began to wonder about how long the term had been around, a game called Reach For The Stars - which my dad bought me in 1985 - jumped into my head. (rest of story in my blog so as to avoid waffling in RotW).

Second place

Pickhut's Gradius III & IV review (PS2)

I re-read this review more than any of the others this week. In the end, I concluded that I was doing this because I liked it. It is a review of the kind to make you feel that you know the contents of the Gradius games intimately, whether you do or not, and make you interested in their development and their plight. The tone is personable, down-to-earth and a bit amusing.

Third Place

Fedule's Tales of Vesperia review (Xbox 360)

There are more italics in this review than I think is healthy. With that out of the way, I perceive that this review is saying something perceptive about JRPGs in today's world.

---

I got the best LOL this week from a moment in Joe's Door-Door review, referring to the year 1985:

"Door Door came out in less sadistic times; you know, when it was okay to stab an enemy with a harpoon attached to an industrial air pump and fill them up until they explode."

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 01, 2011 (10:36 AM)

Many thanks for thet, Bloomer. I sunk a lot of time (and even more words) into that review, so knowing that people are able to read it through to the end is gratifying enough for me. Bless you for doing so!

'Grats to everyone else. Awesome week for content.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: August 01, 2011 (11:03 AM)

Appreciate the read and the placement, Bloomer. Glad you liked it enough to reread it. Good job, Fedule, on your placement, and congrats, EmP, on your RotW win!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 01, 2011 (11:12 AM)

Venter snubber!

Congratulations to all who placed. This was the best week for reviews that the site has seen in ages, with some incredible stuff contributed. It's a week where anyone who didn't manage to place shouldn't feel bad about it. What's exciting is that this week is off to a great start, too!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: August 01, 2011 (11:16 AM)

EmP wins two weeks solid. C-C-C-Combo! I'm glad you lol'ed at the comment. I was hoping to get a smile out of someone. ;D

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.