Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Masters's Limbo (PSN) review

This thread is in response to a review for Limbo on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: July 25, 2011 (06:50 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This review is feeling lonesome without any comments. You should read the review (which I've elsewhere told Marc is excellent for is exploration of theme) and let Masters know what you think!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: July 26, 2011 (10:13 AM)

"Limbo is a story about a boy in the forest in much the same way Watership Down is a tale of house-hunting rabbits. : Nice!

I liked this review and it gave me a good insight into the game. This is a game I really want to try, and I had seen some footage of it.

I appreciated the way you gave that example of a puzzle and how you went about solving it and the fact that frequent death is just part of the game and not to be feared too much. I didn't understand the change to the story you hinted at, but I guess that would involve spoilers..

Just a minor thing: your first sentence and the use of the "it births". I"m more used to reading "gives birth to"... and the phrase seemed a bit out of place. Can foreground give birth? I'm not sure!

Don't panic!

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: July 26, 2011 (10:15 AM)

Hi threetimes, thanks for reading, and I'm glad you enjoyed the review! Yes, something can birth something else, though "give birth" is also perfectly acceptable and probably a turn of phrase more commonly used. The idea that the foreground is the 'mother' in question is just a literary device. Or something.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 26, 2011 (10:25 AM)

From what I've read about this game, it does seem interesting. One question: let's say you're like me and you once rented the first of those PSX Oddysee or whatever they were called games that were puzzle platformers. And let's say that you weren't overly enamored with that style of play. Would that mean, this game wouldn't be a smart purchase due to its similarity? Or is it way different?

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: July 26, 2011 (10:30 AM)

Rob: sadly, I haven't played that game, despite hearing a lot about it. But when it came out, there were comparisons drawn to Out of This World, so that doesn't bode well for you.

Then again... this game is short and pretty addictive and its worth trying based on its atmosphere alone.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: July 26, 2011 (10:36 AM)

Limbo always struck me as a cool game I'd like to play that probably cost a little more than it's worth. can get past that mental block, so I'll probably pick it up some week when it's on special.

I really liked the review. What I liked the most is that you seem to be putting your own screens in, which means I might be saved hours and hours of thankless work. I'm sure you'll break my heart later and tell me it wasn;t you.

What i really liked is how the review read so well, but skimped on no deatils for it. Good work.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: July 26, 2011 (10:43 AM)

Ha, thanks Gary. This is a rare review that I didn't really proofread, so thanks to a bunch of folks on various little catches.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: July 26, 2011 (11:01 AM)

Great review, Marc. This game does sound quite entertaining.... and you do a good job making the countless deaths seem fun and challenging without sounding frustrating. This I also imagine is a credit to the developers. I also liked the imagery involved; it really plays on the atmosphere of the game, and makes it quite attractive.

Sadly, I can't say if or when I'll be able to check it out. Though, out of curiosity, how much does it cost that it can actually be criticized for its price?

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: July 27, 2011 (12:54 AM)

Indeed, awesome review! I would say that it has inspired me to set aside a few dollars to pick it up, but I already have. I do hope to see more from Playdead.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Posted: July 28, 2011 (08:52 AM)

Oops--sorry. Thanks, Joe!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.