Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: July 10-16

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: July 21, 2011 (11:51 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Well, here it is, done the day I started it to get it up as quickly as possible despite the somewhat late notice that CD couldn't do it. This was a pretty close week (especially first and second, though all three spots were tough calls), with many excellent entries, so let the subjective nature of this contest preside. Haha. (Yeah, not quite, but you all know what I mean... I hope)

THIRD PLACE: Threetimes' Everblue review

I much preferred this over your other review for a few reasons. While both were quite informative and detailed, this one managed to get all its points across without so much wordage. I also found myself more capabe of relating to this one, able to feel as you seemed to have (though I could easily have misinterpreted the emotions involved, I suppose). With Everblue, I get the sense that it's an extremely relaxing and tranquil game, with occasional bits of excitement (such as air running out, even if the penalty is small). The sheer exotic-ness of the undersea realm appeals to me as well, particularly the bits about what you can find (I'm a huge history nerd, so including things like cannons and swords really got me excited). In any case, that's not to say your other review is bad – it's not; in fact, it's quite good – I just found this one to be the more interesting in my own view. Either way, nicely done here; even if all you're really doing is exploring the sea, you made this game sound really fun, and it's a shame we don't have access to it in North America.

SECOND PLACE: Joe's The Magic Obelisk review:

This is an informative, interesting, and in many places amusing review. The descriptions of the game are vivid yet simple, and I can imagine every bit of it as if I'm playing it now. Your disappointment with it shines through to the very end, and I admit to laughing a bit in places with the way you talk about it, particularly Lukus' idiocy. Haha. I mean, really, that's just so dumb that he doesn't cooperate, and I really understand your frustration with it. I've played games where the AI was similarly stupid as well, and it just grates after a while. It's a shame, too, because the concept of the game sounds fascinating, but I can say now for sure that after reading all these flaws, I'm not particularly keen on trying it out for myself.

FIRST PLACE: Leroux's WWF No Mercy review

Some may be surprised I put this in here because those who know me know that I'm not a sports fan of any kind whatsoever (...except maybe the Olympics, and occasionally the World Cup...). But this is an extremely well-written and nostalgic piece. Somehow I'm left feeling like I know the game quite well, despite never having touched it, and also extraordinarily nostalgic... again, despite never having touched it. That's just a testament to your skill as a writer, and always has been; your words are never wasted, and the structure is smooth and accessible, even to those who are completely unfamiliar with wrestling games, such as myself. Well done. It's a shame (if an understandable one) that you're not writing so much anymore.

P.S. Poor Andre. He's been dead a long time I know, but I still loved him in The Princess Pride.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: July 29, 2011 (12:46 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Sorry, I missed this and you made all this effort and no-one responded! I was amused you picked Everlue over ES. Just goes to show effort isn't always the deciding factor.I tossed off this one quickly with not too much angst. But thank you. :)

Oh and Everblue 2 was released in the US, and is very similar, and there's Endless Ocean on the WIi too by the same developer.

Don't panic!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.