Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zippdementia's Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots review

This thread is in response to a review for Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: July 18, 2008 (10:26 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

in general, my biggest problem with MGS4 as a shootan gaem was how the AI was still geared toward you sneaking around like in the other ones. you could tear into a pack of guards but so long as you had a suppressor they just wouldn't give a shit, but I had a lot more fun once I stopped buying them.

good read, anyway, though I can't say I agree with everything. I thought the ability to choose between sneaking and fighting was cool just like in MGS3. at least it's more involved than "shoot everybody in the head with your tranq for five hours" like MGS2, haha.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: December 26, 2008 (05:37 AM)

Searching around the internet led me to discover this review taking some knocks over at gamespot ^_^

I'm apparantly evil for not liking MGS4

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: December 26, 2008 (07:36 AM)

Heh. Almost as funny as the N4G thread about Gary's Doom 3 review, though I imagine this one was less intentionally antagonistic.

I particularly chuckled at: "unbiased major reviewers (Gamespot, IGN...)" - the notion that a staff review on a large site funded entirely by publishers' adverts will be less biased than a user review on a medium-sized website is quite naive.

Anyway, I think it was more the score than the text that irked people, and there are a few comments that people need to RTFR before shouting in your face. I think whenever you write a controversial review you need to be prepared to back it up, though - just perhaps not when it's a user review.

That other piece people linked to was funny though, but it strikes me as a bit harsh that there's some user-review-baiting brigade going round taking the piss out of people who clearly aren't professional writers. You have the advantage, of course, of doing 'proper journalism' from time to time 'n' all.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: December 26, 2008 (02:10 PM)

at least it's more involved than "shoot everybody in the head with your tranq for five hours" like MGS2, haha.

I need to replay MGS 2 on a proper level. Lacking confidence, I chose "very easy". At that level you get all your maps without having to do anything, enemies are even more blind than ever, and it doesn't matter if your tranq dart hits them in the head, torso, arm or left foot. They go zzz.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: December 27, 2008 (01:22 AM)

trust me, the only difference between easy and extreme is the boss fights.

which are ridiculous on extreme, for what it's worth. beating 20 metal gear rays that can off you in two hits took me some time.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: mugatu101286
Posted: October 20, 2009 (02:19 PM)

zippdementia is the biggest idiot in the history of man kind for that retarded mgs4 review. dont ever review another game in life again cause u clearly suck!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: October 20, 2009 (02:30 PM)

You know it's time to throw in the towel once you're attacked by an unintelligible poster who can't spell the most basic of words.

Sorry, Zipp, I'm kicking you out.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: October 20, 2009 (02:38 PM)

Man, I've never seen someone get so worked up about a user review before.

board icon
Posted: October 20, 2009 (05:09 PM)

zippdementia is the biggest idiot in the history of man

Ah well, it was bound to come out sooner or later. What can I say? I'm obviously retarded. I can't counter your grand words of wisdom. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the enlightenment you have given me. I'm gonna go swallow a live chipmunk now and hope it rips my retarded insides out.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: October 21, 2009 (09:46 AM)

True story:

When I got my PS3, I picked up MGS4 cuz everyone said it was the greatest PS3 game ever (thankfully, I found out for myself that Killzone 2 is).

So anyway, I tried MGS4 and didn't like it and took it back to the game store to trade it in. Amazingly, the clerk heckled me for my decision!

"Wow, you're trading this in?" he says, shaking his head.

"What's that?" I didn't get it.

"Nothing, it's just that... I mean, this is one of the greatest games ever made. It's crazy to trade it in."

Did this fucker just call me crazy? "Heh, alright, well what do you owe me?"

"Let's see here, that should add up to -- I mean, it's almost blasphemy for me to take this off your hands," he says. I'm making a fist behind the counter. Luckily, he left it at that, as far as keeping this shit going to my face went.

Cuz as I browsed the aisles for better games to complete the trade, I actually heard the fucker laughing with some other nerd sales associate about what a dumb decision I made. Two homicides were imminent, but my cell rang and saved me.

What's with people... A protest? Over a trade-in decision? Really?

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 21, 2009 (11:48 AM)

It's good you restrained yourself from provoking him too much, Marc, and kept the trade-in as professional as possible under the circumstances. Obviously, if he's that emphatic that MGS4 is one of the greatest games of all time, he's mentally ill and perhaps dangerous.

I honestly think sometimes that people essentially think that because a game looks great and has pretty cinematic presentation, it automatically is a great game.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: October 21, 2009 (12:04 PM)

I think so too. There was far too much of me just holding the controller watching. Also, I like my over-the-top with a side of self-parody. Hard-boiled self-importance doesn't mesh with my diet.

board icon
Posted: October 21, 2009 (12:05 PM)

People were TOLD that MGS4 was gonna be genius. There was more hype around that game than around the Kennedy election.

board icon
Author: radicaldreamer
Posted: October 22, 2009 (12:02 AM)

The only thing that would have made your story even better would be if you said you used the trade-in credit to buy Godhand, Otogi, or Freedom Fighters, or some combination of the three.

That said, what did you get with the trade-in credit?

board icon
Posted: October 22, 2009 (04:29 AM)

Zipp: I know I'm dragging this up from the dead, but man, they actually tried to have a negative review pulled from a different site just because they disagreed with it? What the silly fuck?

board icon
Posted: October 22, 2009 (06:33 AM)

Actually, radical, I think it did end up being Killzone 2, which rocks so hard it's not even funny.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.