Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > threetimes's Eternal Sonata review

This thread is in response to a review for Eternal Sonata on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: July 12, 2011 (02:03 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

:) great there are someone else around here who likes Chopin.

Some parts of this review is very readable, specially towards the end. The way you describe the fighting system and the discord with the rest of the game is excellent.

I think the first bit should be more concise - you start out a bit as if you're writing a sarcastic review, but then avoid that in the end. So maybe if you started out with the setting - that Chopin is sick with Tuberculosis pneumonia?, that he's basically visiting his sister (Polka) in some world between the living and the dead. And struggle to find out if what he's in now is real of a dream, etc.

And /then/ skewer it for the fact that it doesn't actually have more than a few parallels once in a while to that theme. ..you know.. a boar charges you because it's a JRPG fantasy, not because it's a story about Chopin's possible thoughts under the severe influence of mineral-powder while having a fever.. Even if all of this again is disconnected from the story we're being told in cutscenes about Chopin's real life in between the chapters.

You could also mention more of that.. Polka speaks in.. polka-rhythm. Jazz is a laid-back guy, and his affair with Claves is going to end in disaster, that kind of thing. Those were really cute parts of the game, imo, even if they were few.

Same with the multiplayer. Might be an interesting bit for some..

I'm the last person who should be complaining about the length, though - but this review probably can be structured a little bit differently and end up being more compact and readable. Maybe collapse a few of the paragraphs, and bridge them with the others on subject.. something like that.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: July 12, 2011 (08:55 PM)

I really need to finish this game. I got a fair way in and I loved the art style. The combat system worked for me, too. My problem is that I was writing a FAQ as I went and that slowed me down too much. Just playing through, I think I'd love it.

Any reason you have manual line breaks? They break up your review a bit here and make it look longer and more intimidating than it has to for the reader. It's a good review, so that's a shame.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: July 13, 2011 (02:40 AM)

Changed the formatting. Looks much better. Thanks for comments and "a boar charges you because it's a JRPG fantasy" is right!

I never noticed that about the speaking patterns, and I didn't know there was multiplayer. Yeah, I had started the review somewhat annoyed with the game, but changed my attitude a bit before completing it.

Don't panic!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.