Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > asherdeus's L.A. Noire review

This thread is in response to a review for L.A. Noire on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: May 22, 2011 (07:15 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Matt, this is a very good review. The opening is a bit rocky, especially given that you use the word 'tout' twice in rapid succession--but things pick up quite nicely after that.

In the fourth paragraph, I'm not sure if you mean to say 'disconnect' rather than 'disconnection'... the more troubling issue in this paragraph is the use of 'the game' three times in two sentences.

Sort out these issues and you've got a winner on your hands, which is especially impressive given the quality of the other review that's up for the same game.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: May 22, 2011 (09:49 AM)

Aw, man, I finally decide to buy a Rockstar sandbox game since the GTA Double Pack for the Xbox 1, and two reviews are already making me regret that purchase. Good review, though.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: asherdeus
Posted: May 22, 2011 (09:58 AM)

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Marc - I wrote this review in parts, getting out substantial chunks of the review while I was still playing, and then once I finished the game, I came back to it and tied it all together. I'm happy to hear that it turned out well because I was honestly afraid that my approach would leave it disjointed. I've updated the introduction a little to get rid of the repetition and I worked around the fourth paragraph as well. I'm going to rewrite the introduction because I had a better idea for a lead in to the review but forgot to write it down and it slipped my mind. Hopefully it will come back to me soon.

Pickhut - It's a game worth exploring. That's why I gave it a 6 instead of a 5. I'm not totally disappointed with it - there are some compelling cases - but I felt like I needed to go harder on the game because so many positive things have been written about this. I had a hard time believing that the Day One reviewers for this were able to spend 20 hours in the city. But, it's certainly interesting technology to look at and play with, even if it doesn't work very well.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: goatx3
Posted: May 22, 2011 (10:32 AM)

pickhut: that's a bummer, dude. hahah. i learned my lesson after read ded redemption.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: May 22, 2011 (12:17 PM)

This review was the final nail in the coffin for me. I'm skipping this game, unless I get the chance to rent it. Thanks for helping me come to that decision.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: May 22, 2011 (03:02 PM)

I don't think I've read a positive review for this game yet. Plus I heard it's been ruining PS3's and 360's.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: True
Posted: May 22, 2011 (05:05 PM)

I don't think I've read a positive review for this game yet.

Nor have I, but in watching the commercials everyone is supposedly raving about it. I almost bought it on that alone, but have been swayed by both reviews on here alone.

Well done, Ash.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: May 22, 2011 (05:19 PM)

Yeah, this'll probably be a bargain bin purchase in the future.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: May 22, 2011 (09:45 PM)

Yeah, I can wait a couple of years and it'll be the same price as GTA IV is now.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: May 22, 2011 (10:53 PM)

"Pavlovian bell chimes" is a nice touch. Terrific review.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: May 23, 2011 (04:44 PM)

Great review. it seems that every professional reviewer is absolutely in love with this game but can't manage to make the game sound good. My thoughts after reading the professional reviews are close to what this said.

Good story and cutscenes does NOT guarantee a good game.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.