Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW -- May 8-14, 2011. Yes it is only Sunday and I've gotten it finished. Hell has frozen over.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: May 15, 2011 (01:40 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

The site's most punctual RotW'er is here for a "par for the course" timely edition, which I'm doing on time because I don't want this getting in the way of me polishing up and submitting a review I'm working on, which I delayed simply so I wouldn't be submitting it during my week to do this. That ain't the way to getting feedback and stuff, ya know?

As for you chaps, the rules apply. Whatever they are, that is. I don't think any of the "don't include me in this" negative nancys submitted anything this week and Joe's the only person with multiple submissions, so yeah. Rules, rules, rules. Jebus, I drank too much last night. Just the sound of my fingers tapping the keyboard is annoying me. Let's get this thing done.

AND NOW...

THIRD PLACE: Vampire Moon: The Mystery of the Hidden Sun (DS) by disco

Damn. This was one hell of a tough week to judge. Virtually all of the nine or so reviews eligible deserve some sort of accolade, as I had a fun hour or so reading them. This edged out a few others because you didn't use the word "rapscallion" like Venter...I mean, uh, because you really gave a great explanation of how this game doesn't work. Simply a strong argument that left no doubt in my mind that this game wouldn't be fun at all due to seeming like a lazy, repetitive affair with little substance behind it.

SECOND PLACE: Shining Force II (Genesis) by EmP

I think you liked Shining Force more than me, but I'm in agreement that this game is as good as it gets. This review really sums up all its goodness quite nicely. A nostalgic look at a game you obviously love and want your words to pay justice to. Sometimes when it comes to reading reviews, you find ones you really WANTWANTWANT to read because of the combination of the game being reviewed and the author who is reviewing said game. That was the case here and I wasn't disappointed.

OVERDRIVE PLACE: Brink (XBox 360) by tomchick

The reason this review won: The writing enthralled me. I tend to be more of a campaign player with shooters than a multiplayer player. Which is why when I play them, it tends to either be while hanging with a friend, trading off on the controller; borrowing them; renting them or buying them when they're old and cheap. Therefore, I'm not all that versed on many of the things that go into what makes one of these multiplayer games work. The writing here really worked in that aspect, as I got a great insight on what you were looking for and how this game met those expectations. Talking about the emphasis on team objectives and the character movement system really worked for me. High-quality work to win a high-quality week!

Time to lay on the couch and wait for the pain to go away, I guess. Rock on, doods!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: May 16, 2011 (09:01 AM)

Thanks, OD. You should do these this early more often. =D

Congrats to the winners.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: May 16, 2011 (09:23 AM)

Thanks, Oddy. Congrats to Disco on the big re-debut and Tom on the win.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: May 16, 2011 (11:20 AM)

All I have to do is drink so much Saturday that during Sunday I have no energy to do anything more productive than slump over my keyboard and read stuff and these things will be prompt every time!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.