Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Half-Life 2: Episode Two review

This thread is in response to a review for Half-Life 2: Episode Two on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: July 12, 2008 (09:05 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I liked the caves, the whole ecosystem they set up with barnacles eating the antlions and shit (plus the hilarious moments when antlions drowned) was cool and it had some cool action parts like when the King chases you. a bit long though, yeah. the worst part of the game is still the second half of Freeman Pontifex to me.

another place that's been shelled by headcrabs! but this time without the atmosphere! awesome!

in other words, I like your review because I pretty much agree.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: July 12, 2008 (10:08 PM)

The caves were pretty good, though definitely not the highlight of the game. The main problem here is once again the length. Luckily I got Episode 1 for free and Orange Box for something like $25 because I would feel robbed if I spent full price on the two games.

Also I'm hating the cliffhanger ending and the fact that Episode 3 still doesn't have a release date. I'm guessing Valve is creating another compilation probably with Portal 2 and a new multiplayer game.

EDIT: I love how my avatar is changing with every post.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: July 12, 2008 (10:57 PM)

Are we the only three HL fans here?

I didn't make a big deal about the sub-Ravenholm segment of Freeman Pontifex because it was only, what, fifteen minutes long? And it was never boring or tedious or anything. It just felt unnecessary. My issue with that part was placement. You finally get to the surface and sneak a peek at the Combine forces you'll be fighting, and then you get this obligatory zombie-blasting sequence.

Sportsman: Were either of the games full price, though? I got both of them through Orange Box, and so I'm very satisfied, but I was pretty certain Valve was selling them individually for around twenty bucks or so. They're not meant to be full-length games, just episodes, as they're named. I was perfectly happy with Episode Two's length considering that.

Can we all at least agree that the second half is amazing?

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: July 12, 2008 (11:59 PM)

I got Episode 1 for free when Circuit City had a buy 1 get 1 free sale about two years ago and got Orange Box at Best Buy for $25 the day after black Friday. Good deals, especially since they were going for $30 (or was it $40) and $50 respectfully when I made the purchases Orange Box is a great value and I don't feel ripped off or anything. I just wish the games were both about three levels longer, though I won't complain about what I have.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: July 13, 2008 (10:27 AM)

Am I the only person that didn't enjoy the second half? I always found steering with keyboard felt wrong; it's like Gordon can't drive without jerking the steering wheel to turn or slamming on the gas with all his might. Part of me (the cynical part) thinks that some of these driving sequences and large scale battles (specifically the final battle in episode 2) are trying to capture a similar formula from Halo. I don't think this is very effective, but I am clearly in the minority.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: July 13, 2008 (11:31 AM)

Half-Life copying Halo? Please. That statement reminds me of a friend of mine, who hates Pulp Fiction because he considers it a pale imitation of The Boondock Saints.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 14, 2008 (05:14 PM)

Pulp Fiction and Boondock Saints? What has he been smoking?

As for H2, I've been slightly dissapointed in the entire HL2 series. Don't get me wrong, I love the games, but it lacks the heavy atmosphere of HL1 (Xen aside).

Best part of the entire HL2 series? Ravenhome.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.