Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > SamildanachEmrys's Tenchu Z review

This thread is in response to a review for Tenchu Z on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: May 08, 2011 (08:58 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

It's difficult to refrain from cheering while reading this review because I agree completely. Fun is what I want when I play a game, more than any number of other things that seem to have become more important in the eyes of developers and (to my bewilderment) the general gaming public. I don't especially like recent Tenchu games precisely because I don't find them fun (they're too clunky for my liking), but I can appreciate your stance on the matter and, thoughts on the Tenchu series aside, I agree with it.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 08, 2011 (10:47 PM)

Nice, Samy! Love to see new reviews from you, proving you still got it!

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 08, 2011 (10:50 PM)

Everyone read this. If you develop games, then especially you:

"We don’t always need maximum realism. In the last few years games have held realism up as the ultimate goal, but I would take fun over realism any day. You know what has a lot of realism? Reality. And you know what is often notably short on fun? Also reality. Sometimes I don’t want to deal with enemies who can hear my breathing from two rooms away. Sometimes I don’t want to be given away by the slight flicker of my shadow in the corner of someone’s eye. Tenchu Z’s enemies may be stupid by the standards of real people but I don’t want to try and creep my way past well-armed real people. That’s difficult and frightening and not much fun. People don’t join the SAS because they think it’ll be a good laugh."

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: May 09, 2011 (02:04 AM)

^I agree wholeheartedly. I get enough reality where I work.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: May 09, 2011 (06:22 AM)

Thanks for the feedback, guys. It's good to know that even if my views on the game aren't shared, my stance on fun can be appreciated.

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: May 09, 2011 (07:07 AM)

Wow, this is a great review. I've played the game and know exactly what you mean, which also helps.

I've a small suggestion you may choose to ignore:

Singularly obtuse Tenchu’s enemies may be by real world standards, but they’re just the right level of alert for the game.

That sounds a bit awkward to me:

Tenchu’s enemies may be singularly obtuse by real world standards, but they’re just the right level of alert for the game.

or

As singularly obtuse as Tenchu’s enemies may be by real world standards, they’re just the right level of alert for the game.

seem to read more smoothly. Just my two cents. Nitpicking, I realize.

Anyway, nice job.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: May 09, 2011 (07:58 AM)

Fair point. I do phrase things oddly. This is why writers have editors.

I agree with your suggestion and will modify the sentence accordingly.

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.