Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: 6/29/2008 to 7/05/2008 — standard late effort by OD

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 10, 2008 (11:44 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Well, due to a wee bit o' miscommunication, it wasn't until yesterday that I found out that this was my RotW week. So, to celebrate that knowledge, I got really wasted at a friend's place last night and am kinda fuzzyheaded right now. So if my comments don't make any sense, I hotlinked the wrong reviews or I go against the rules repeatedly, well, those things happen.

As for the rules, as far as I know, they're the same. No staffers eligible, only one review by any given person can be in the top three, all complaints go to EmP, all compliments go to me.

So, here we go!

Review of the Week: Wizardry: Knight of Diamonds (NES) by dagoss

While all three of your reviews had certain attributes that really impressed me, this one was the best in my eyes. I think the big thing you did here was perfectly sum up the way those of us who played those old-school pre-storylines RPGs feel about them. The way you can get slaughtered by an unexpected "oopsie", but you're still having fun going through the maze and mapping it block by block, leading to that feeling of triumph when you finally figure out how to successfully get somewhere or do something. And I also give you high marks for having the knowledge about the game to be able to talk about how the NES version is improved over the PC version and how you feel this is the best of the three NES Wizardrys. Reading this makes me want to get on my computer tonight and start back up with the SNES Wizardry I-II-III compilation, so I can finish I to get to II (as I do want to see if, with all three on one cart, you can transfer character data from one game to another after beating each one). I won't do that, as I'm too busy with Okami and Dragon Quest V right now.....but you did make me want to!

First Runner Up: Drakengard (PS2) by Felix_Arabia

Yet another Drakengard review. It actually surprises me that this is only the seventh one for this game on the site, since I feel like I've read reviews of this game from everyone who's ever submitted here. Still, as you might guess from the high rating of approval you got from me, you did a good job covering subject matter that could be considered "tired" by now. Those opening few paragraphs do a great job of setting the mood of the game and the writing here is top-notch. I'd say that, really, the only complaint I have about this review could be it's biggest strength — how it seems you assume the reader already is familiar with this game in writing about it. It's cool because it allows the review to focus on the greatness of the atmosphere and allows you to talk about the things you liked in it — but, on the other hand, for someone who hasn't yet played the game like me, it could be a bit confusing to figure out exactly what you're talking about when you're briefly mentioning certain things under the assumption I know what's what with it and then moving quickly along to something else. Still a very energetic and entertaining review and it's nice to see you do something besides energetic and entertaining reviews of obscure Japanese-only NES games BEFORE I CAN GET TO THEM!!!

Second Runner Up: Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (DS) by Chacranajxy

Very nice review about a new game in what seems to be a pretty popular series today. Did a good job of going from the basic plot to a recap of the general Trauma Center gameplay (since I've not touched one of these games, that was a nice addition) to mentioning how the game is fun and appealing despite not breaking any new ground. It's an easy read that is full of information and the sort of review that I'd like a guy like newalone4 to take a look at and learn from. Obviously he loves retro shooters and has a ton of info in some of his reviews, but a couple of them were pure "PC clocking" material due to excessive length. The biggest strength of this review is how tight the writing is. I learned everything I needed to know about this game in six concise, well-written paragraphs.

And another RotW bites the dust! Now off to find some other form of mischief!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: July 10, 2008 (11:52 AM)

Congrats to the winners! I almost wish I subbed that week, but I feel the competition would've stifled me.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: July 10, 2008 (02:56 PM)

I only seem like I'm on fire because I use the feedback reviews sometimes attract to determine my worth as a human being.

You can import characters between scenarios in The Story of Llygamyn, but they lose all their experience and items. I'm not sure if you can keep those things if you export a character that has completed a scenario though.

EDIT: "Heart of Diamonds"?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: July 10, 2008 (06:17 PM)

I'm pleased that I managed to take an 'over-covered' game, give it a lengthy write-up, and still place 2nd. I think anytime anyone is interested in a game, they would be wise to read more than one viewpoint (assuming there is more than one). With Drakengard, just as with FFX, there are plenty of other good reviews on this site that cover some of the stuff I may not have gone into great depth, but that's okay. I'm just trying to delve beyond the obvious. I hope it continues to work.

Congrats to Dagoss on his win and Chacrana on his mention. Dagoss sure has proven that he's a good writer in these past several months!

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 11, 2008 (07:37 AM)

Dagoss
See, I said I was fuzzyheaded yesterday when I did the RotW and I proved that to be true with that "Heart" of Diamonds screw-up! It's corrected, now.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: July 11, 2008 (08:21 AM)

Congrats to the winners. Good RotD.

_

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: July 11, 2008 (03:37 PM)

Congratulations dagoss on a well-deserved win! Your review made me want to go dig out my copy of Wizardry V, but it seemed like too much hassle so I didn't.

Also congrats to the rest of you turkeys.

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.