Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zippdementia's XIII review

This thread is in response to a review for XIII on the PlayStation 2. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: July 10, 2008 (12:57 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

The way XIII handles saving was a major irritation for me all the way through, playing the PC version. Maybe console shooter fans are used to checkpoint systems, but when I'm playing a PC FPS, I expect to decide where and when to save, not have the game decide it for me. And especially not pretend to let me save anywhere and then have me pop up somewhere completely different when I reload, typically right before an unskippable scene.

I finally gave up some 3/4ths into the game when I got one of my greatest FPS frustrations tossed into my lap, a stealth level. Not the first one, but definitely an incredibly annoying one. If I've just gunned down two hundred bad guys in the past level, don't give me an instant game over because I alerted one here. Even if they all come pouring forth when the alarm sounds, I think I can handle them, thank you.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: July 10, 2008 (11:07 AM)

It's been a couple of years since I played XIII on Xbox, but I remember most of the stealth sections being pretty easy and mostly involving hitting people with chairs.

_

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: July 10, 2008 (12:23 PM)

Some gamers just HATE stealth sections and will never be any good at them. To throw those into an FPS title that otherwise doesn't employ them and to penalize the player for failing by throwing them back a long way every time and forcing them to repeat lengthy sections they're good at but find boring upon repetition... that's inexcuseable. I don't care how 'easy' other people find it.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 10, 2008 (12:48 PM)

And to add to that, Jason, I just don't like putting them in FPS games due to how they disrupt the flow.

I remember my best friend and I rented Red Faction when it first came out on the PS2. Started out having a good ol' time blasting our way through the mines. Then we got to this stealth area in a office-kind of place and my enjoyment just started going downhill. It just wasn't what I wanted in a blasting game.

I also never liked the "stealth" levels in the old Medal of Honor games, but I have to admit it was fun how you had to ignore "stealth rules" to get the best rating, since kill percentage factored into that.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 10, 2008 (02:03 PM)

See, for me, I think the whole game should've been more stealth based (judging by the fact that it is based off a spy comic book), or at least more Deus Ex in its approach to a mission.

But I totally agree. Once established as a shooter, it should've stayed there.

Personally, though, I think the main reason that level is piss shit annoying is because if you fail, you have to do the entire slooooooooooow walk into the office again, with no way to speed it up.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: July 10, 2008 (02:09 PM)

I was thinking of a ship based level - battleship, maybe submarine, it's been a while. The level was a brick wall to me. Not the first FPS where I stranded on stealth either - Return to Castle Wolfenstein ended the same way for me.

I've come to appreciate Metal Gear Solid's gameplay in more recent months but at least there the stealth is the core gameplay, not something that feels out of place with the overall feel of the game. In LucasArts' western themed shooter Outlaws, if the enemy knew I was coming, they'd find cover and be that much harder to flush out, but I wouldn't get a game over waved in my face because sorry, you tripped the invisible instant failure wire.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 10, 2008 (02:31 PM)

Oh the ship level was a piece of shit. God I hated that level.

See, the cool thing about MGS (the first one, at least) was that even though it pressed stealth upon you, it wasn't an instant game over if you were discovered.

Most likely you'd be killed, but at least they gave you a chance to fight back/hide your sorry ass.

I dislike the whole Tenchu style of "You're seen! Game Over!"

Someone here summed it up nicely. "I've just killed about 600 people. Why is it game over when one guy spots me?"

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: July 11, 2008 (10:32 PM)

I completed XIII a few years ago on the Gamecube. I do remember individual moments of stealth pissing me off, but I would not have remembered how much stealth was called upon overall unless this thread reminded me.

XIII has a bit of significance for me in that it's the first time I learned to control movement with one thumbstick and control my POV in 360 degrees with the other, to play a FPS on a console. (As opposed to the 'turn L+R, strafe and move forward and back' on one stick, and 'look up and down' on the other... which makes you really clumsy at aiming in the vertical plane.)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.