Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Site Announcements > Contest: Review a DS role-playing game and win Dragon Quest VI

This thread has been locked by a moderator. No additional messages may be posted.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: April 22, 2011 (02:25 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

UPDATE: Since there were no eligible reviews submitted or entered in this contest ahead of the May 15, 2011 date, the deadline for entry has been extended. This post has been revised to reflect a May 31, 2011 deadline with voting to follow and conclude on June 14th (to avoid conflicting with E3). If there are no eligible entries by that time, then the contest will officially conclude with no winner selected.

I've decided to run a new contest to test this community's interest in future contests. This one won't have any judges, just a prize. That prize is a brand new, factory-sealed retail copy of Dragon Quest VI for the Nintendo DS that I happen to have lying around. Below are the rules of eligibility.

1) To win the game, you need to have a mailing address in the United States. If you live outside the US and want to participate, that's fine, but you will need to specify the US address of a friend to collect the prize on your behalf.

2) You must submit a new review for a role-playing game on the Nintendo DS. Minor rewrites of reviews for games that have appeared previously on this site are ineligible. Part of the goal of this contest is to drum up new content for the site, naturally.

3) Anyone with a registered HonestGamers account--including site staff members, if they choose to participate--is eligible. I'm giving away my own extra copy of the game and staff members work hard. Since you ultimately get to decide who wins, I am happy to have those hard-working staff members be eligible!

Once you have written and submitted your review, it will go through the usual submission process. Assuming that it is approved, you must then post a link to that new, approved review in this thread so that everyone knows that it is eligible. On or around May 31st, I will stop accepting new submissions and will either use this thread or a new one to accept votes from the community. At that point, all registered users can vote for their favorite review out of those eligible. The review with the most votes wins and I will send the winner the game. Voting will conclude on June 14th or shortly thereafter.

I'd like to see good activity for this contest. I'd like to be able to justify running more of them in the future, perhaps with more significant prizes and/or wider eligibility. If you're interested in seeing that happen, make sure that you get your friends to participate in the submission and voting processes. Thanks!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: April 24, 2011 (03:02 PM)

Does Pokemon count?

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: April 24, 2011 (03:13 PM)

Pokemon counts.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: April 24, 2011 (03:28 PM)

Sweet. That's the only DS RPG I currently own. =x Unfortunately, I played it a while ago (over winter break, I think), and now I may have lost the angle or whatever that I would have taken with it otherwise, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

One thing I would like to say about this contest idea in general, though... Is that if no one seems to take interest, it might not be because they're generally not interested... Rather, it might be because they just don't have any DS RPGs. =/ Hopefully we'll get some more activity with this thing, but we'll see.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: May 14, 2011 (07:59 PM)

Hey. Do I get all day tomorrow for this, too? I haven't had any real time to work on this since you opened the idea, so I might not even finish it tomorrow because that's when I'll be starting it. Also, with my lousy connection at home, I may not be able to submit the review until I go to the library on Monday if that's alright.

board icon
Author: True
Posted: May 14, 2011 (09:53 PM)

I would ultimately like to do this, mainly because I want that Dragon Quest game but as well would like to see you run more contests. I will try and bust something out, but I hope that I do not win by default.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: May 14, 2011 (10:10 PM)

Bah. If I'd seen this sooner I'd have had a punt at reviewing The World Ends With You (my solitary DS RPG).

Regardless, I like the idea. If there are other such contests in future, I'll try and catch them.

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

board icon
Posted: May 14, 2011 (11:30 PM)

Since there were no eligible reviews submitted or entered in this contest ahead of the May 15, 2011 date, the deadline for entry has been extended. There is a revised May 31, 2011 deadline with voting to follow and conclude on June 14th (to avoid conflicting with E3). If there are no eligible entries by that time, then the contest will officially conclude with no winner selected.

board icon
Posted: May 15, 2011 (04:29 PM)

Would you say Etrian Odyssey qualifies as an RPG? If so, I could do that instead, since TWEWY is already pretty well covered review-wise.

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: May 16, 2011 (11:41 AM)

Yes Etrian Odyssey is a RPG, and a good one too.

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Posted: May 25, 2011 (11:32 AM)

I'm still doing this. We have until Tuesday. I hope to have inspiration by then. Even if I don't, I'll just try to crank something out anyway.

board icon
Posted: May 31, 2011 (09:19 AM)

Okay. I finished my review this morning. I hope to God that the deadline had included today as well. I'll post it this afternoon.

EDIT: There. Hurray, I win by default. Awesome.

board icon
Posted: May 31, 2011 (11:56 PM)

Yes, WQ, you win by default. HG Mail me the address where I should send the game and I will strive to get it out to you by the end of the week.

board icon
Posted: June 01, 2011 (01:53 PM)

Alright. Thanks. I'll forward you an address as soon as I can. I'd just give you my home address, but I just know that if I have you send it there, my parents will freak out about it and I'd rather avoid that, so I'm going to ask my grandma if I can have it sent to her house instead.

board icon
Posted: June 04, 2011 (11:32 PM)

Poo. Forgot about this. Bumsticks.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.