Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Crysis 2 review

This thread is in response to a review for Crysis 2 on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: radicaldreamer
Posted: April 18, 2011 (08:47 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I don't quite get what you're saying about the multiplayer. When I played the multiplayer demo, it was people invisible almost all the time.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: True
Posted: April 18, 2011 (09:01 PM)

Nice review. One thing:

I’ve played Killzone 2 and Final Fantasy XIII – the PS3 version, mind – and I’m comfortable in saying...

Should be mind you.

That's all I caught though. Good work.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: April 18, 2011 (09:08 PM)

I don't quite get what you're saying about the multiplayer. When I played the multiplayer demo, it was people invisible almost all the time.

Weirdly enough, in the time I spent with the multiplayer, I only ever ran into a handful of people who were cloaked. Most people either used armor or seemed to ignore the suit powers altogether. Then again, most of my time was spent in the servers dedicated to players ranked 10 and under, so it may be that the people I was playing with just weren't very good. Either way, I can only go by my own experiences.

It's still pretty easy to spot people when they're cloaked anyway, just like armor doesn't make people much more difficult to kill. That's what I meant about the suit powers being inconsequential.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: April 18, 2011 (09:21 PM)

mind you = mind

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: April 18, 2011 (10:09 PM)

Eh?!

board icon
Author: darketernal
Posted: April 19, 2011 (04:33 AM)

Interesting view of the game, reviews and opinions I saw so far were all universally negative, ranging from timid "they removed half the armor powers from the first Crysis", to the not so timid "They made it retarded for console users", "The graphics are uglier then the first one" and so on and so on. I played the first Crysis, and while it was breath takingly beautiful it was a pretty standard shooter(with an awesome last fight). I might check this out one day.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: April 19, 2011 (07:32 AM)

True, I was just saying that you can use "mind" in place of "mind you" and it means the same thing.

board icon
Posted: April 19, 2011 (08:22 AM)

To be honest, DE, I'd probably like Crysis 2 a lot less if I'd played the first one beforehand, because I can definitely see where it would have been a step down (mainly in the more linear level design, as I mentioned). But the suit powers were something of a revelation for me, which was a big factor in why I enjoyed the game as much as I did. Plus, I'm rarely of the opinion that a disappointing sequel is always a bad game. My instincts tell me I should have hated Dragon Age II, but I didn't.

Still, I do wonder why developers feel the need to simplify games for console audiences. We're gamers too.

Also, Masters, I marked your post because you have greatly offended me. Or maybe just because I meant to hit "reply" and accidentally marked your post instead.

board icon
Author: darketernal
Posted: April 19, 2011 (08:44 AM)

I understand. I don't want to jump on the Dragon Age bandwagon just yet because I didn't play it yet, but yeah, the games of today are getting far too streamlined, and even without playing it, I'm sort of glad that Bioware(and I will presume Crytek too) get a certain fan backlash for cutting off their games the way they did. This will only intensify further on if they fuck up Deus Ex.

The original Crysis had more armor powers, like strength and speed, and jump or something like that, and honestly, they were mostly useless(the strength one I think was only used in spots where you absolutely had to use them, like breaking down a wall or something to pass through), I think only the speed and the invisibility one were ever used, but just the ability to have it, the lack of utter and complete linearity is what made it interesting.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: April 19, 2011 (08:56 AM)

I'm NOT one of those people who are anti-console and going to complain that console limitations are killing gaming or anything, but I HATE how every game is turning into a crappy Call of Duty. The original Crysis actually had decent multiplayer via Crysis Wars and Crysis 2's multiplayer demo (which was basically Call of Duty with a fancy suit) really turned me off. The talk about how linear and restrictive Crysis 2's gameplay is doesn't help much, either.

Companies need target what sells, I guess. Especially Crytek who bitched and moaned for years about how Crysis wasn't a sales success (which was partially their fault). Maybe I'll try the game when it's $20 or so.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Posted: April 19, 2011 (10:57 AM)

The silly thing about this is that Call of Duty fans aren't going to leave Call of Duty for something exactly the same. Halo used to be the console shooter to beat, and that only changed when gamers got hooked on a different type of multiplayer (and, oddly enough, Halo: Reach actually feels somewhat unique in today's market). If EA really wants CoD's fanbase, they'll need to create the next multiplayer craze, rather than mimicking the current one.

I want to reiterate, though, that this doesn't encapsulate Crysis 2's campaign. Even if it is watered down (and I haven't played the first game, so I can't personally say), it's still long, beautiful, and incredibly versatile. It feels nothing like the mainstream model for shooters, which is why it's so disappointing that the multiplayer is just another me-too CoD clone.

board icon
Posted: April 19, 2011 (11:11 AM)

True, I was just saying that you can use "mind" in place of "mind you" and it means the same thing.

I'm an idiot then, as that's news to me. I just thought it looked odd. Still kind of does.

board icon
Posted: April 19, 2011 (12:09 PM)

You're not an idiot. Suskie's just mad smaht (said in a Boston accent).

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: April 19, 2011 (12:34 PM)

..or he's just British :p

"If EA really wants CoD's fanbase, they'll need to create the next multiplayer craze, rather than mimicking the current one."

Actually, I take it back. Suskie is clever as well.

Seriously, though.. try saying that to DICE, or to Guerrilla Games. Or Zipper. Or anyone else. Guerrilla Games do things like this, for for example. In the KZ3 beta, they had a simple overlay with small transparent type. No flashing plus-signs, or anything like that. The HUD was minimal, no killstreak names or popups.

Then for the final version, they add something that's literally a copy of the hud in Call of Duty, full with killstreak prompts and so on. And they actually hardcode the layer, so it's impossible to turn off parts of it - even though we ask specifically for something like that.

--
Still.. one thing that does suck the life out of an online game, and makes it seem more random .. or less about playing /other players/, rather than shooting at flickering suits that don't move like you do, etc.. is the lag.

EA pulled the preview of Crysis 2 because of too many complaints. And then they launched the full version later with the same (unchanged) setup. This is the same setup they use in MoH as well as BC2 - with mechanical matching to region, generally speaking, and no filters or "preferred" games. So if you play online, you're very likely to get into a game with people who lag, while playing on servers in Peru. Or getting into a local game, but this time with players from Peru, etc.

It's a pretty bad problem for all online titles on consoles. But someone figured out "most people" don't care of something..

board icon
Posted: April 19, 2011 (12:36 PM)

Hey, I was watching The Departed last night too.

board icon
Posted: April 19, 2011 (01:25 PM)

The Departed? I was talkin' about Good Will Hunting! But The Departed will do. And oh, while I'm in here--nice review, too.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: April 19, 2011 (06:23 PM)

Of course it's not going to sell as much as CoD but I really don't think developers are trying to do that. It'll still sell a few million copies, which is probably more than the original sold. Better to play it safe and get a decent number of sales than take a risk and potentially flop I suppose.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Posted: April 19, 2011 (06:45 PM)

I was talking specifically about EA. Homefront sold well because it's so much like CoD and I'm sure THQ is happy with that, but EA products will always sell well anyway and the company has said on numerous occasions that they're trying to overtake CoD, and that they believe IPs like Battlefield and Medal of Honor have the potential to do so. Simply having a successful franchise isn't enough for them.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: May 02, 2011 (12:41 PM)

While hanging out with a friend yesterday, we played this and had a good time with it. Only got through about half the game or so, as the rental didn't come with instructions, so we were kinda gradually learning our way through the game. I agree about the "feel like a badass in different ways" aspect of this review. Trading off the controls, we both seemed to have different styles. He loved the armor upgrade ability for more intensive combat (which, admittedly, worked out well for him as the aliens started playing more of a role). I preferred cloaking and sneaking...to the point where during the level you're setting up a diversion by blowing up stuff near a church, I was in full evasion mode running from one objective to another only close-range shotgunning nearby solo foes when my suit was running low on juice.

The suit mechanics are sweet, although my poor brain doesn't need another thing to keep track of. I think I had more of those "I'll get you guys...SHIT I WASN'T PAYING ATTENTION TO AMMO AND NOW AM AUTO-RELOADING WHILE HALF THE U.S. ARMY IS GUNNING ME DOWN!!!!!" incidents than I've ever had because I was focusing more on how much suit ability I had left.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.