Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > pickhut's Rush'N Attack Ex-Patriot (XLA) review

This thread is in response to a review for Rush'N Attack Ex-Patriot on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: April 13, 2011 (01:34 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

..Rush 'n Attack.. that was "Green Beret" on the c64, no? The thing about the game is that I think it initially had a couple of cutscene segments where you shot russians off a wall with a machine-gun, or something like that. ..Or maybe that was another similar game. Point is that all of these games - Contra as well, even if the first release of it was about shooting aliens - ended up with a justification for being released with that open patriotic slur in one way or another. Rush 'n Attack - Russian Attack. Contra - Shoot commies in Nicaragua. Those were extremely simple and - apart from the outerworld appeal - boring games, but they ended up being pushed very hard at the time.

In a better world, we would have just forgot about it all afterwards. Or at least not made any sequels with the same game-design :D

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: April 13, 2011 (02:18 PM)

I... erm... wait, so you're basically saying you hate those kind of games?

And yeah, Green Beret was its other title some of the versions shared. And from some things I've read, some things added that weren't originally in the arcade version.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: April 13, 2011 (03:03 PM)

Right. They added some more sellable/awesome outerworld context. Killing aliens, or just freeing prisoners from bad guys wasn't enough :D

You know, honestly, I don't care anymore. But it's the same with a cartoon that doesn't sell itself on artistic merit, or style, or commentary, etc. Like.. "Christian movies" in Hollywood. Or "gay movies". Or, in some unhappy circumstances, "indy film". Pushed for a specific audience that is presumed to gobble it up - which they do.

Anyway. So in this case we had games with pretty weak mechanics, no story, terrible AI, four different enemies, and four different sprites for your character. But it still gets a sequel.. that.. looks and plays almost in the same way as the original.

It's just... I mean, what happened to imagination? Setting in the actual game, rather than the trailer-blurb, etc. It's just annoying that some of these games actually sell, I guess. :p

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: April 13, 2011 (06:13 PM)

Great review, pickhut.

Another goof that needs to be brought up about this Rush'n Attack sequel is that it's a MGS-style stealth game with a side viewpoint. That alone makes things amazingly limited. Someone on staff must have thought it would've been a brilliant idea, only to crap himself silly halfway through development when he realized it was really an awful concept.

I laughed my ass off reading that, especially the imagery of some exec or game developer shitting himself in his office. Great stuff!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Posted: April 13, 2011 (07:45 PM)

Thanks, Joe. Appreciate the read.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: April 16, 2011 (01:21 PM)

Ha shit, I just read this review now and it's awesome. Rocky V, indeed. You just saved me points, cuz I was considering picking this thing up.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: April 16, 2011 (09:38 PM)

Hopefully you'll buy a better game with those points! And even though I'm gonna sound like a broken record, thanks for reading.

I head spaceshit noises.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.