Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Vice: Project Doom review

This thread is in response to a review for Vice: Project Doom on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: April 13, 2011 (12:24 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Good review. I remember reading about this game in Nintendo Power and thinking it looked kickass, but I never could find it back in the day. And for some reason, I never played it via emulation once that became an option. I think I tried, but the initial primitive emulator I used before upgraded to OS X on my Mac didn't run it. I'll have to try again.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: April 13, 2011 (03:09 PM)

Thanks OD. This is one of my favorite NES side-scrollers. I used to rent it quite often as a kid, invite the friends over and play the crap out of it. Never did beat it then, but did so recently.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: April 13, 2011 (08:51 PM)

I don't think I've ever heard of this game before. If I did, it must have been in passing...

Good review, Joe. Always nice to read about something you've never knew existed until now.

Btw:

It's one offering sounds like a small one,

You meant "its", right?

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Posted: April 13, 2011 (09:42 PM)

Thank you, pickhut! It's fixed.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: April 13, 2011 (10:07 PM)

I had posted a review for this game on the site a long time ago, but ultimately I removed the review and rewrote it for a "Graveyard" review when I wrote for Hardcore Gamer Magazine. It's a great game and I was excited to write that piece so that there'd be another record of its greatness in print.

Vice: Project Doom was on the cover of one of the early issues of "Nintendo Power" magazine that I got, and I still have it in a box somewhere. It always looked great, so around 7 or 8 years ago I bought it used at a game store and played through it the same night I bought it. I was thoroughly impressed by how well it hold up as a high-quality mix of some of the great games of its era. Definitely it's one of the NES system's oft-overlooked gems.

I'm glad that you reviewed it, Joe, and brought more attention to a game that definitely deserves it.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2011 (07:16 AM)

Thank you, Jason. I agree that this game deserves more attention. It's one I also failed to list on my recent Virtual Console topic. Of course, there are a bunch others I wouldn't mind seeing on there (Kick Master, Mendel Palace, etc.).

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: April 15, 2011 (10:57 AM)

This is a fucking awesome review, your best of the ones I've read -- and I've read a lot.

Just the basic movement feels smoother, like Hart is a vibrant kind of dude, physically active, straightedge, hits the weights, eats his fiber. It doesn't stop there.

Full of win.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: April 15, 2011 (11:31 AM)

Thank you! I had a hard time writing this one at first. I pretty much sat there slack-jawed for an entire night before an intro came to me.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.