Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Re-Review Off 2011

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Leroux
Posted: April 09, 2011 (01:15 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

So I take it someone needs to get the ball started.

The re-review off is a chance to rewrite history -- in particular, your history, as the goal is to write a better review than you did before. I think everyone here feels they have reviews in their catalog where they could have done better. For this competition, reviewers will need to submit TWO reviews: the first the original work, the second their rewrite on the original game.

Aside from rewriting an existing review, there are no other strict rules to follow. The best place to store off the original review here is a blog post -- that way the judges can confirm the new review is both different and a better review than the previous version. "Touch ups" and small revisions are not the goal here -- the goal is to write a NEW review that does a better job than the previous version.

DEADLINE:

Saturday May 7th at midnight HG time, though in the spirit of friendly competition accommodations can be made.

JUDGES:

-Wolfqueen
-Leroux
-Asherdeus

While there is no plus or minus system for this competition, judges should not reward writers that have either written a review that they feel is worse than the original version or not different enough. Reviews should ideally either provide a new point of view, provide more context or give better examples that better support the original thesis. Grading is on the usual 100 point scale.

COMPETITORS:

True
pickhut
JoeTheDestroyer

board icon
Author: True
Posted: April 09, 2011 (02:35 PM)

!! You totally stole O.D.'s idea!

I'm in still.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: April 09, 2011 (02:50 PM)

Would this only be with HG reviews, or could it be with any old reviews that were too embarrassing to upload on HG?

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Posted: April 09, 2011 (02:51 PM)

I was -inspired- by Overdrive's idea!

He can have all the credit without actually organizing it. Win-win.

board icon
Posted: April 09, 2011 (02:52 PM)

Good question pick -- those reviews would be allowed (although there's no bonus for the original review being really bad).

board icon
Posted: April 09, 2011 (05:04 PM)

Ah, ok. I've spent the last hour thinking, on and off, about what review I could do a rewrite for, and it's driving me nuts!

I'm just gonna say I'll sign up now. I'm sure I'll pick one before the deadline a month from now.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: April 09, 2011 (05:57 PM)

I'm in.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: asherdeus
Posted: April 10, 2011 (06:08 PM)

I'm willing to judge. I should do my part around here and this seems like it'll produce some interesting reads.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: April 13, 2011 (11:06 AM)

I want to re-write Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar

Original Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Posted: April 21, 2011 (11:27 AM)

So, is this a go?

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: April 21, 2011 (04:05 PM)

I imagine so. Ideally it'd be great if more people showed up, but... We'll see.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: April 22, 2011 (11:34 AM)

I will be there. It'd look bad if I wasn't, since I invented the idea!

With the way I'm suffering from extended-duration writer's block, I might get the award for "biggest decline in quality from original to new", but I'll try anyway.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: April 28, 2011 (06:40 PM)

Anyone else interested in this? We only have six people so far (EmP, CD and OD haven't been added yet).

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: April 28, 2011 (07:17 PM)

The only reviews I recall being genuinely unsatisfied with are my two Mass Effect reviews, and I'm pretty sure people were sick of hearing me talk about those games at least year ago.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: April 30, 2011 (11:03 AM)

Sea Monster review is up.

Original is still in my blog.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Posted: April 30, 2011 (08:05 PM)

I'm still in... just taking my sweet time. >__>

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Posted: May 02, 2011 (11:56 AM)

I have RotW this week so I'd like to see about extending that deadline for a few days. Thanks.

board icon
Posted: May 03, 2011 (06:02 PM)

The tourney deadline or RotW deadline? You're not judging, so I'm a little confused as to how the tourney deadline matters. Either way, the results probably wouldn't come out until a week after the deadline.

You need to explain a little more why you want an extension before I can consider one. I may consider one anyway just because we have so few people that have actually posted a review. (Only you and Joe so far), so we'll see. Don't rely on it though.

board icon
Posted: May 05, 2011 (11:24 AM)

Yes, sorry. I wanted to extend this tourney. I'll have RotW on time. I'll try to get my re-write done by the 7th but the thing is I probably won't. I'm only half way done now so I do need a few more days to finish that up. If an extension is not possible I'll just do it anyway and it won't get judged.

board icon
Posted: May 05, 2011 (12:32 PM)

I've been hard at work on mine. By which I mean, I've posted the original to the blogs and replayed most of the game. Actual words and...stuff to come soon!

board icon
Posted: May 05, 2011 (04:45 PM)

Hm... Well, now that you cleared it up, I'll probably consider an extension, but I want to ask the other judges first. One may not be such bad idea anyway considering that as of right now, almost no one's entries are guaranteed yet.

Odd, though. I could've sworn you'd finished your thing; maybe I just saw your blog post and thought you had the rewrite done already. Sorry about that.

board icon
Posted: May 05, 2011 (05:21 PM)

No I posted the blog so I would not forget later because I probably would have. Just a few of days would be fine. Like the 11th or 12th.

I also was not to sure this was a go so I am getting a late start here. Altough I am about half way done.

board icon
Posted: May 05, 2011 (11:38 PM)

Oh, yeah.... should post my original review before I put up the new one.

Original: Dune: The Battle for Arrakis

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Posted: May 06, 2011 (12:53 PM)

PROGRESS REPORT: I now have typed three paragraphs. Or four, but the first one is two short sentences, so I'm not counting it as a full paragraph.

board icon
Posted: May 06, 2011 (01:25 PM)

PROGRESS REPORT: Another paragraph has been typed. Stay tuned for further updates.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.