Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: March, 27 2011 through April, 2 2011

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: April 05, 2011 (07:15 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

There were some very good reviews this week and each one of them could have found their way to Review of the Week but alas only three can be on the list. Here are the reviews I thought were the creme de la creme.

Bronze Joystick award goes to Boxing (Atari 2600) japanaman March 30, 2011

Although fairly short the interlaced humor made this review fun to read. If I had to summarize the game I think this statement shows both the humor and game play very accurately. “Your punches are based upon… however the Atari feels at the moment.”

Silver Joystick award goes to Super Meat Boy (XLA) (X360) fastkilr April 02, 2011

This review lets us know “it’s not the game’s fault that you’re incompetent” in no uncertain terms. Along with the beratement comes a complete explanation of the game and how it plays a bit old school but also adds some new twists here and there. We were told how hard the game could be but at the same time how much fun you would have slamming Meat Boy around in an effort to save Bandage Girl (although I don’t recall her name being mentioned in the review).

Gold joystick award and top review for this week goes to Cybernator (SNES) pickhut March 31, 2011

The link to the Target Earth review was a very good idea as the references to what that game had in comparison to this game is what made the review’s points much easier to understand. It should be noted that even if I had not read the Target Earth review this review stands on its own but if you take the time to read the Target Earth review you find a great deal more depth in this review: “It's an experience that you simply need to revel in; words alone can only do so much convincing.”

Thanks everyone for a great week in reviews.

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: April 05, 2011 (08:54 PM)

Whoa! It was such a heavy week with a lot of solid reviews, so this is a nice surprise. Thanks, CD, for reading and enjoying the review, and congrats to fastkilr and japanman's mentions.

And good job to the rest! Again, it was a good, busy week.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: April 05, 2011 (09:57 PM)

I like some of these choices, particularly Pickhut's... and I like the joysticks--very nice touch.

Incidentally, have you lumped Emp's reviews in with the 'staff reviews not to be considered?" Because I'm fairly certain that Emp is amenable to being included in this.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: April 06, 2011 (11:21 AM)

I was not aware that EmP was adverse to being included in RotW, so yes I did read his review this week and it was quite good and very close but I liked japanaman's review just a bit better so that review claimed third place this time.

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Author: Leroux
Posted: April 07, 2011 (01:47 PM)

darn.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: April 07, 2011 (02:31 PM)

I had hoped to place too, Leroux, but this was a tough week and at least we can be thankful that we're losing out to good reviews! There were a few weeks for awhile there when just about anyone who wrote something placed, so the new problem is a much nicer one to have. Congratulations to the winners!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: April 07, 2011 (03:11 PM)

Wait--what? You two were in the running as well?

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.