Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Leroux_Deux's Donkey Kong Junior review

This thread is in response to a review for Donkey Kong Junior on the Arcade. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: April 02, 2011 (10:47 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

My introduction to this game came when it was included as part of Donkey Kong Classics on the NES. While I liked both Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. on that compilation, it was Donkey Kong Jr. that both I and my sister played the most. We just loved it. The trivia that you included in this review was neat to read and your review truly does a great game justice. Great stuff!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: April 03, 2011 (07:10 PM)

Nice review! I.... actually hadn't heard of this game until now... Or, if I had, it was only in passing without knowing what it really involved other than being related to Donkey Kong.

It's cool to see how this game compares to the original. I know I definitely liked the vine mechanic. That's something you don't always see in platformers, even today.

Anyway, I did spot one typo... WHen you're talking about Burger Time or whatever that game is, you say "congers images"... Should be "conjures". =/ Srry.

But yeah. Great stuff here.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: WrenchHurts
Posted: April 05, 2011 (04:39 AM)

LOL, who the hell is still playing arcade ? Yeah, let's make a game as hard and broken as possible so it can swallow many quarters as possible . What the hell are you trying to achieve by submitting this review ? It's not going to be included in Metacritic or Gamerankings anyway, so virtually no one will read. Or are you trying to ignite the nostalgia of retro-gamers and encourage them to take a tour to the nearest arcade booth ? Yeah, rather than playing functional modern games, let's grith our teeth with some shitty game mechanics and shitty graphics, for old time's sake. What a joke.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: April 05, 2011 (04:58 AM)

I'd say it's mostly for the nostalgia, a tribute to the classics. I don't know of any arcade where I'd find a Donkey Kong Junior machine.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: April 05, 2011 (07:45 AM)

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: April 05, 2011 (11:33 AM)

I think a cave somewhere is missing its denizen.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: April 05, 2011 (11:52 AM)

It's been missing its denizen for about a year and a half, if my approximations are correct.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than WrenchHurts requested its removal.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: April 05, 2011 (01:35 PM)

I wish I'd given college the level of time and commitment that this guy gives to trolling forums.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: True
Posted: April 05, 2011 (02:47 PM)

RunningFree? Sorry if that's been addressed already.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Posted: April 05, 2011 (02:54 PM)

That's my guess and you won't be seeing more posts from him until/if he returns with a new identity. For the record, he has had numerous chances to start fresh here. I don't delete accounts until those accounts give me a reason to do so, but he has done so now with several accounts (though it usually wasn't me who did the deleting).

His complaints always seem to focus on our continued desire to review the retro games we've loved for years instead of a constant diet of the newest releases. I think it's safe to say that the site is not going to address those concerns--nor should it even want to--and I hope that he'll either embrace what we do here or move onto a site that doesn't celebrate games from all eras.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: April 05, 2011 (02:59 PM)

That guy is worse than me and that's saying a lot...like A LOT. He seems to be very bitter and carry an abject hatred towards HG. I wonder who he is.

board icon
Posted: April 05, 2011 (03:04 PM)

With all of that said, it's best to steer this topic back to discussion of Leroux's review, which was excellent and doesn't deserve to have related discussion derailed so swiftly.

board icon
Posted: April 05, 2011 (04:48 PM)

My bad boss. Sorry.

With that being said:

I loved this one as well and like a lot of people I didn't even know it existed. I wish there was an arcade that still had it. I want to play that final stage after the way you described it. Is this something you remembered or that you still have access to? Just curious.

I did notice one thing as well, too:

Being cast in the shadow a classic is never easy; while Ms. Pac-Man won over hearts

Should be an "of" in there.

Nice work, though.

board icon
Author: Leroux
Posted: April 05, 2011 (04:52 PM)

This topic makes me grith my teeth.

board icon
Author: Leroux
Posted: April 05, 2011 (05:04 PM)

MAME.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: April 05, 2011 (11:39 PM)

I also failed to say:

Great review. I always had a spot in my heart for DK Jr.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: April 06, 2011 (10:14 AM)

You know what one of the best things about these old-school arcade reviews is? Back when I was growing up, I rarely went to arcades, but I did have an Atari 2600. So many games like DK Jr....I know primarily from playing the really stripped-down ports on that system. So it's nice to get the insight on the actual original game.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.