Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Masters's Homefront review

This thread is in response to a review for Homefront on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: April 02, 2011 (07:49 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Brilliant review. You've showcased the game as my views on Medal of Honor screwed on backwards and told me exactly why. We don't agree on many FPS titles, you and I, but I get the feeling that we'll agree on this one.

My one nitpick is how you use examples of cover and use children's (item) twice in quick succsession. I would say that the treehouse example doesn't need that particular subheader.

Otherwise, some of the examples are very well executed. As are the slew of dissapointments. Thumbs up.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Leroux
Posted: April 02, 2011 (08:06 AM)

A quick point on the subtleties of word choice I noticed:

Suskie: "Homefront is set in a near future in which a unified Korea has invaded the United States."

Masters: "North Korea has annexed South Korea and they've taken over the world."

The difference is between "unified" and "annexed", which although the dictionary would suggest they have similar meanings, have developed different connotations (one more peaceful, another unwanted and involving occupation). When I read Suskie's review, a unified Korea sounded implausible and was an immediate turnoff. Marc's review, as implausible as this fictional North Korean takeover is, doesn't paint the picture of millions suddenly won over and unifying with a military dictatorship and makes the story seems less ignorant of the current climate of both countries.

Which is why it is better to have two great reviews of this game than one. Nice work all around.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: April 02, 2011 (01:02 PM)

Thanks, dudes.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: April 03, 2011 (01:36 PM)

"United" is actually the word that the game's intro uses; I know this because I just double-checked. So clearly my thesis is better.

But I jest. I greatly enjoyed reading this one, Masters, and the differences in our opinions are one of the reasons I'm happy it exists.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: April 03, 2011 (06:17 PM)

Actually, I used the word "annexed" purposefully. You'll notice there's no talk of any South Korean leader, or that country's part in the new state's creation. It's simply that the great North Korean leader "unified" the two countries, implying that he got South Korea to 'get on board' rather than assist with any sort of symbiotic collaboration...

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it, Mike.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: April 05, 2011 (11:55 AM)

This is a good review. I especially liked the last two-thirds of it when you started going into detail about level design and such. And the multiplayer thing was interesting to read about, too. It really sounds terrible, like... unplayable. I really don't get why developers can't make both elements good.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: April 05, 2011 (11:59 AM)

Thanks, Leslie.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.