Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Homefront review

This thread is in response to a review for Homefront on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: True
Posted: March 29, 2011 (09:37 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Gah. Didn't this just come out last week? Busted through it didn't you.

I find it kind of amusing that you picked Homefront when that was Zig's request. If he ends up doing 3rd Birthday I'm going to laugh.

Seriously though. I said in that prediction I made I wanted one of two people to do this game because I was on the fence about it and only really trust their opinion completely. I was considering it even more with the commercials I've seen and I was thinking about using my trade-ins for either this or the new MK. Was going to do it tomorrow actually, until I read this.

I'm glad you addressed the Korea invasion scenario more than you did the multi-player as that was a big selling point for me. It's a very real and possible scenario (which is why I was so enthralled by it) and a great idea. Then you mentioned they sort of...burn you out by giving you too much too soon (you were more eloquent with it) and I know how that can be. And also how they go too overboard with it. That sold me. Or rather, un-sold me.

And in reading your outstanding review, I now realize it's not worth it and I can buy MK instead.

Really enjoyed this one. You did a great job. Thank you for saving me $62.38.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: March 30, 2011 (04:54 AM)

Hey Mike, nice job. I should have my slightly different take up later today.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: March 30, 2011 (10:08 AM)

.. you know.. as far as American fiction goes, the game is actually pretty good. The concept is, like the title says, about fighting an enemy in your own country. What would the resistance be like, how would the invader act, and what would you do if given the chance to make a difference, etc. The less than subtle Korean officer screaming:"we're here to help you achieve the potential of your rich natural resources!" should probably drive that point home. That's why the invasion scenario is skipped past - it's not interesting for the setting. That the country is invaded is.

Aside from that.. the entire "let's raid the military stockpile, jam some c4 on this gate and blow it up" stick. Where you run around figuring out a plan out of nothing. That's.. even if it isn't very serious or dark on it's own.. actually really well done, imo. It's paced well, and it's dipping down into the surrounding near-future scenario to continue make that resistance on your own soil scenario seem plausible. They also create a good buildup for the ending on the Golden Gate. The final frontier :D. And in my opinion, that's both hilarious as well as touching in some ways.

So, you know.. the single-player is actually fairly strong, even if it's short. It's feel-good patriotism that you can accept as fiction. Rather than fiction that actively offends anyone who aren't fanatical jingoists. Like Red Dawn, perhaps, the type of fiction that scoops into a fictional scenario to let you explore how you would react to a scenario like this. They also don't really rest on outerworld references too much - it's fairly generic issues like propaganda, mass graves, crowd control and so on. Just re-imagined in the US.

Multiplayer is a mix of COD and Bc2 more or less - the graphics are nothing to write home about, but it can be fairly tactical and intense, even if you're not getting the kill-streaks with a tank. It's the escalation that draws you in, maybe. As the battle moves on, you add more and more firepower to the battle, etc. Mixes things up. Control scheme along with the map-layouts also help this be more about tactical movement than twitch-shooting around corners..

I can't really believe I'm saying this about an fps. But writing it off because North Korea can't invade the US anyway -- that's a bit small-minded.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: March 30, 2011 (10:48 AM)

All I said was that the game qualifies as science fiction, which it does, and that the concept is outlandish, which it is. (Which isn't to say that it couldn't happen, just that it hasn't and in all likelihood won't.) And I wouldn't write the game off for that, anyway. I specifically said that Homefront could easily have achieved what it said out to do if it were in more capable hands, but Kaos just doesn't have a grasp on the subtlety it takes to make this future believable.

Again: It's a matter of presentation. I like the setup, and I consider it a good thing that Homefront skips over the initial invasion, especially since that differentiates it from Modern Warfare 2. But constant miscalculations in how this story is told hold it back, and all we're left with is a twitch shooter that's mechanically stable but ultimately feels like a blur of elements that other games have done better.

Anyway, thanks for the comments so far.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.