Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Lufia: The Legend Returns review

This thread is in response to a review for Lufia: The Legend Returns on the Game Boy Color. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: March 24, 2011 (05:24 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I don't remember this game myself so I guess I did not play all the Lufias. Here I thought I had played them all, unless this is the one where you could link the two GBAs together and play with a friend, but I don't think that was this one.

Very well writen but I wonder just how many floors are in the Acient Cave?

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 25, 2011 (08:53 AM)

No, I've reviewed the GBA one also, and they are two different games. At least, you not hearing about it just reinforces the "unnecessary" bit!

RE: Ancient Dungeon. As I recall, it STARTS out with 100, but one of the wishes you can get from the Ancient Slime is for a larger dungeon, which expands it to 200.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: March 25, 2011 (11:21 AM)

Thanks, I'll have to pick this up somewhere.

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: May 26, 2021 (07:37 AM)

I cannot describe how much of a disappointment this game is. I knew it would be rough going in, but the number of floors of what amounts to the same dungeon is just staggering. Even if you just complete the main game, it still has to be something like 1,000 floors, not including the Ancient Cave (which requires more than one play through to fully beat). To top it all off, the Ancient Cave is much better to tackle on a new game+. I managed to beat this game, and then rage sold it on eBay.

I feel like there was no play testing or QA here. There are so many typos in the script (in addition to the usual localization cheese), so many bugs, and it's not fun to play that it could have never passed QA.

My understanding is that this game was originally slated for PSX, but went through development hell before landing on GBC. It's one good idea (the grid combat) is so poorly balanced, like they had the idea but no details on how to make it work. There is just so much gross stuff here that needs to be cleaned up. You didn't mention the menu in your review--even by the end of the game, I still found it to be a cluster to navigate. There was some interesting concepts here and in Lufia II, but it's like the planners just ignored all those things in favor of this procedural dungeon nonsense.

I've thought about reviewing this game just to rip it to shreds, but you did that enough here that I'm satisfied.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.