Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Half-Life 2: Episode One review

This thread is in response to a review for Half-Life 2: Episode One on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: July 05, 2008 (10:57 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I agree about the first two chapters (the levels are cool, I just wasn't digging having the super grav gun again--maybe it would have been neat if you only had the regular one and it gave you ways to deal with soldier using that) but I thought Lowlife was actually pretty cool. it would have worked better with Episode 2's new flashlight, but I had a great time with it.

cool review, anyway. though as a quick one-off opinion, I also read your HL2 review (and liked it too) but that last line was really lame. I'd change it :P

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: July 05, 2008 (11:49 PM)

Yeah I also liked the second half of Lowlife. The car pushing bit was pretty clever and the end where you had to wait for the elevator in the darkness was cool. The worst part about the game is it is pretty unnecessary if you think about it. Valve could've gotten rid of the whole idea and added one more level to Episode 2.

The whole game just seemed stale to me. It seems like everything was ripped out of some part of the original. The best part of HL2 was the surprises in each level and there were very few here.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: July 06, 2008 (12:01 AM)

Ha, you're totally right, that line sucked. I wrote the review pretty late at night and never really proofread the thing with a clear mind, so I deleted it for now until I can think of a better way to close the thing.

I actually didn't enjoy the elevator part at all, mainly because I didn't want to have to worry about a zombine running up behind me and killing me with one of those damn grenades. (Is it just me, or did they make the blast radius for grenades much bigger in Episode One?) Lowlife was my least favorite chapter of the game, mainly because those zombines score too many cheap kills. I know you can just rip the grenades out of their hands and throw them back, but I can never think of that on the spot :P

Anyway, I still plan to review the remaining components of the Orange Box soon, so keep an eye out.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: July 06, 2008 (12:26 AM)

That brings up another complaint I have with the franchise: you can't hotkey! Luckily I hotkey the gravity gun into my mouse so I can quickly switch to that when I see zombines but it's a pain that you can't hotkey other weapons. Luckily the game is easy enough so fumbling though weapons isn't too big of a problem.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: July 06, 2008 (07:26 AM)

"... the striders, it seems, have effectively tossed City 17’s salad"

That's an, um, interesting, uh, way to put it.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: July 06, 2008 (08:31 AM)

Hahaha that's a brilliant line. Can't believe I missed it last night, but I suppose that's what I get for reading it at 3-4 in the morning.

board icon
Posted: July 06, 2008 (11:54 AM)

You know you can just hit the G key for the gravity gun, right? I usually do that, but occasionally I don't reach far enough and turn on the flashlight by mistake.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone, by the way. I haven't felt as "on" lately as I have at other times so everything helps.

board icon
Posted: July 06, 2008 (01:23 PM)

Yeah I know about that but it doesn't help me much. I programmed it into my mouse actually and switching to it was never a problem for me. It's the other weapons that I can't hotkey. After playing HL2 three times and the episodes twice each I'm pretty good at using the mouse wheel but still not perfect.

This is what I would do if I could hotkey each individual weapon.

Mouse 3 - Gravity Gun
Side buttons - Shotgun and Pulse Rifle
Q - Grenades
E - SMG
R - use button

I don't use the other weapons enough to put them in.

board icon
Posted: July 06, 2008 (02:29 PM)

Yeah, I really wish I could hotkey the grenades, since I never really have enough time to select them individually and only really bother to use them against turrets. I guess having a grenade trigger is one thing Halo has over Half-Life.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.