Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Zpardi's Dragon Age 2 review

This thread is in response to a review for Dragon Age II on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: March 17, 2011 (12:04 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Hi there, and welcome! Your review shows off some very good writing, but I thought I might impart some friendly advice: try to make more/smaller paragraphs.

In general, when readers see huge blocks of text, their initial reaction is to skip the review, which in this case, would be particularly unfortunate.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: March 17, 2011 (09:31 PM)

Yeah dude break up those paragraphs. I read it in ms word and broke the paragraphs up myself (actually broke the first one up into four separate paragraphs) and it read much smoother.

It was actually a very good review. A little rough around the edges and on the long side but a good read nonetheless.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: March 18, 2011 (05:51 AM)

:) ..it's written in a clever text-editor that display the first line-break as a paragraph (Word, etc). So when copied, the breaks are two spaces, but the paragraphs will just be one newline. ..aah, the wonders of whitespace-trailing..

..could try exporting it to text first. Will probably keep the formatting then.

Couple of things:
"We are all doomed. And you know what?"
maybe...
We are all doomed, because you know... -> it feels great, etc.

"sidequests still offer the player the ability to change their outcomes depending"
..when you hear me complaining about too many side-sentences, and resolutions to hanging prepositions after the third and fourth - then you know it probably is a bit too much :p

"gritty feel of the universe. The somewhat underwhelming main quest line is buoyed an absolutely fantastic range"
..this was a perfect opportunity for a "meanwhile", or even a semicolon.

But I like your focus on the narrative, and using that to critique the game very consciously. It's a good review.

Could maybe make it even more effective, if you presented the review without the meta-introduction..? The punchline.. "we're all doomed".. really is enough to explain the "controversy". And whatever your opinion, I think that paragraph would be more exciting if you hadn't been given the summary of the review-plot on beforehand.

But... good review. :D I hate your opinion, and wish the blight on you and your family, obviously. But that was a good review.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Zpardi
Posted: March 26, 2011 (03:55 PM)

Hello, thanks for your advice, I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.