Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Thunder Force review

This thread is in response to a review for Thunder Force on the Sharp X1. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: March 14, 2011 (03:42 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I almost feel bad now. But I'll get over it.

Look at it this way: you now have a real chance at becoming the most decorated Sharp X1 review on the entire Internets. You're probably already in the top 5.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: March 15, 2011 (05:25 AM)

Poor Rob. I commend you on getting through it. Emp owes you big time!

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: March 15, 2011 (07:28 AM)

Haha. Jesus, this sounds and looks terrible. If it makes you feel better, at least I learned what the Sharp X1 was! I tried asking EmP once but he didn't answer me. =P

Nice review.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 15, 2011 (11:07 AM)

Marc
"Getting through" TF is a relative term. That can be boiled down to playing long enough to hate myself and everyone else. The game does have sort of a high level of difficulty (I wasn't sure to personally chalk it up to awkward keyboard controls on my computer...Sharp X1 isn't a particular user-friendly emulator). Late last night, after reading Gary's "at least you have a well-read Sharp X1 review" comment, I decided to look around the net to see if others had reviewed this game. A couple had, generally as part of a series breakdown. One site's guy played a different port of it and mentioned there (allegedly) were 32 stages and after a few hours, he still hadn't gotten beyond the second because of a difficulty spike between the first and second. And according to him, that port gave you 10 lives (mine had 6, I think) and according to the pics, those tiny red things seemed larger. The concept of this game being 32 levels long actually shocks me. I never know designers could be that evil and sadistic.

WQ, yes, if anything, this review can serve as an education into the Sharp X1. I'd never heard of it until EmP approached me about this game. And I hope to never hear of it again. I have the distinct feeling that EmP decided that just because he retired the "Because We Hate You" contest, that didn't mean he'd have to retire the concept...and I became the beneficiary of a lot of pent-up hate. It would be a small consolation to know that he had to play TF II, but that game has a couple of really awesome stages to at least blunt the misery. I had nothing like that!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: March 15, 2011 (06:01 PM)

Haha! Great review! Awful shmups make for fun reads.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.