Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > lassarina's Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey review

This thread is in response to a review for Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey on the DS. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: LastResort
Posted: March 11, 2011 (02:49 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Grinding kicks ass. I guess when the game gives you an option to grind, it adds to the flexibility of your approach towards the game.Mass Effect 2 won't let you grind because it only gives you experience points after a mission is done, and not while you're killing enemies, so not having the option to grind feels a little bit restrictive.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: March 11, 2011 (09:31 AM)

This is RunningFree. I'm calling it.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: March 11, 2011 (09:48 AM)

It's too early to tell for sure, of course, but for reasons that should be obvious, I wouldn't bet against your bet.

As far as grinding goes, I tend to avoid it in RPGs but I don't mind its presence. In the SMT games, I sometimes welcome it because there's so much to do as you grind, so many cool skills to learn and such. I would imagine that if there's no grinding allowed in Mass Effect, which I've not played, that's because the game is structured in such a way that grinding is unnecessary.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than LastResort requested its removal.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than LastResort requested its removal.

board icon
Posted: March 11, 2011 (10:41 AM)

I think we can tell for sure now.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: March 11, 2011 (10:43 AM)

Obvious troll is obvious.

Edit: Goodbye.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: March 11, 2011 (11:00 AM)

RunningFree, when you return in two months under a different username, I might recommend that you not immediately project your identity by pimping SMT and bashing Mass Effect in the same post. You need some new material, man.

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: March 11, 2011 (01:21 PM)

It always felt to me like you had to grind in any SMT game if you wanted your demons to be worth a damn.

At least if you want a level 99 High Pixie.

7WytxFNthUyQVtut
$rNsCqa-eJSr%pUv

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Author: hmd
Posted: March 11, 2011 (01:47 PM)

Some low-hanging trolling fruit for any young prospects out there:

At least people who get banned from the Atlus message boards are still able to play their games. You can thank me later.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: March 11, 2011 (03:06 PM)

Yeah, I don't generally buy PC games, but I'll really make sure not to buy any from EA unless they get their crap together and ditch the DRM.

//Zig

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: March 11, 2011 (08:16 PM)

Also, grinding is a lazy way to add length or flexibility to a game. The inclusion of grinding supports a gamer culture that believes in becoming powerful without becoming skilled. That ultimately keeps RPG players weak -- when a genuinely great RPG comes along that doesn't rely on grinding, people will dismiss it for being "too hard" (which will in turn reveal their own weakness). The expectation of grinding is a clear design flaw; increasing the complexity of later battles is a more stimulating approach. I won't dismiss a game due to grinding -- I love the SMT series because it does so much else right -- but it really is a shame that the genre relies on it so much.

Grinding doesn't just affect RPGs, but strategy and action games too. Riviera was cool because you couldn't grind, so it was always tough. Golden Axe: Beast Rider was cool for the same reason -- there were no red orbs or red soul power to spend on upgrading stats, you just had to become better. By the time I finished the game, I had become a godly fighter. That's the biggest feeling of accomplishment I've felt from an action game in a long time.

//Zig

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: March 11, 2011 (11:17 PM)

There's grinding intelligently and grinding mindlessly. If "Dragon Quest IV" throws a tough boss at me, I don't mind taking a little time to level Kiryl and Borya up to add spells like "Fullheal" and "Oomph" to their arsenal. On the other end of the spectrum is "Glory of Heracles II", where every boss is like Borgan and random monsters can wantonly destroy your expensive gear.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 12, 2011 (07:04 AM)

Glory of Heracles 2...guh...it was a fun game and all, but really killed my desire to do FAQs. Grind to buy that expensive suit of armor and then watch it get destroyed by a frickin' mountain goat or something. I couldn't imagine playing that game without the benefit of an emulator's freeze states.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.