Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Indie Tourney! Sign ups, and such.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: February 14, 2011 (02:22 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Torchlight was published by Encore, Inc. (in North America) a wholly-owned subsidiary of Navarre Corporation so I would say no it is not Indie.

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: February 14, 2011 (03:46 PM)

I'm not sure how others feel, or whether or not Torchlight should be considered indie, but in my opinion it's the development team that should be considered, not who published the game. Big publishers sometimes publish indie games, too.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: February 14, 2011 (07:51 PM)

If indie-ness were based on development team size, we'd need yet another label to cover what we call "indie" today. A quick search shows that the company that made Torchlight was founded by the lead designer of Diablo 1 and 2. Emphasis on "company".

Not indie.

EDIT: By the way, if we try to define "indie", we will fail, so let's not even try. But I'm more than happy to let people know whether or not their game counts in my book. (since the other judges probably have different feelings)

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: February 14, 2011 (09:05 PM)

Yeah, I didn't say anything about team size, just who actually made the game. Not every team we've never heard of is indie. Torchlight's team was well known as ex-members of Blizzard, but I wasn't down with disqualifying the game on the basis of Encore being the publisher they finally found (and Encore wasn't with it at the start anyway, as I recall). By the way, though, are you saying that if a skilled developer from a famous development team starts up a team of a few people and makes a game, then it can't be indie? Because to me, that's almost like saying that anyone with experience or talent can't be indie! ;-)

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: February 14, 2011 (10:44 PM)

Experienced people generally don't call their games indie, because they have confidence in their work and aren't trying to appeal to the indie crowd. An exception would be that one Xbox Indie game made by that semi-known dude, but he was basically begged by Microsoft to put his thing on XBLI instead of XBLA. Oh yeah, and Arika released a game on XBLI, which is totally wrong and does not count as indie even though it's on the indie service.

Judging is going to be so much fun.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: February 15, 2011 (04:20 AM)

I think I might actually do Light's End instead. I'm finding this game needs a tad more coverage.

Interesting fact: I can't find Light's End when I search for it. I have to go to EmP's review list to access it.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Posted: February 15, 2011 (11:46 AM)

This Light's End?

I consider Indie games to be developed and published by the same team without outside help. While companies could create Indie games that is not the norm. Big bonus points for a game that was developed and published by the same group of people. Games like Braid, Aquaria and Armadillo Run.

board icon
Posted: February 15, 2011 (06:05 PM)

Yep, that'd be the one. I'm enjoying it so far, which is strange because almost everything about it would normally bore me stiff. It's actually enjoyable.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: February 15, 2011 (06:46 PM)

Ben: Judge instead! =D

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: February 16, 2011 (12:36 PM)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indie_game_developers

Going by this list I could review something like Brutal Legend? That doesn't seem right.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Posted: February 16, 2011 (11:22 PM)

That's not right. Wikipedia doesn't understand what "indie" means.

//Zig

board icon
Posted: February 17, 2011 (01:07 AM)

Going by this list I could review something like Brutal Legend?

Or apparently Ratchet and Clank and Dragon Quest VIII. Yeah, that's pretty sketchy.

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: February 19, 2011 (09:29 AM)

I see there are only two judges. I wish to be a third.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: February 19, 2011 (10:07 AM)

Will is now judge #3, menaing I'm in the reviewing pool. I've also put the deadline forward a week to allow for people in schools.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: February 19, 2011 (11:05 AM)

+2 points to anyone who reviews Deed of the York.

//Zig

board icon
Posted: February 20, 2011 (11:38 AM)

Light's End is up.

board icon
Posted: March 03, 2011 (02:04 PM)

I hope people haven't forgotten about this.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: March 03, 2011 (03:51 PM)

Me too. Should be fun.

board icon
Author: turducken
Posted: March 05, 2011 (11:20 AM)

Er, really late entry that was meant to be in like a half-month ago or better. Anyway, I'm gonna review Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden - Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley Saga.

"My father, the Emperor, had many powers of the Dark Side. But without three eyes he could never achieve perfection." - Trioculus

board icon
Posted: March 11, 2011 (10:46 AM)

Here's mine: Have fun.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: March 11, 2011 (02:08 PM)

I haven't written anything, but I don't feel guilty because I never said I would.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: March 11, 2011 (02:18 PM)

As I'm being asked a few times..

Yes. You still have all of tomorrow as well to write.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: March 11, 2011 (02:33 PM)

I'm not going to show. I can probably crap something out tomorrow but don't want to enter for the sake of entering. I've been extremely busy for the past two weeks and completely forgot about this.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: March 12, 2011 (09:23 AM)

I think my review of Super QuickHook qualifies for this contest. That's my entry, if sign-ups are still allowed.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 12, 2011 (06:26 PM)

I WRITE DA WORDSESES!!!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.