Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Eternal Sonata review

This thread is in response to a review for Eternal Sonata on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: February 02, 2011 (08:49 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Felt the same way.. before I ended up not being able to finish the game. The presentation is actually pretty good. The different characters talking in the same way as their names suggest, that kind of thing, is well done.

..I think the problem I have with the game is that the theme isn't just dark, it's "mature". While the presentation is beyond childish. It goes from skipping around in the road with butterflies, and then directly on to tuberculosis, death, dead sisters, betrayal, suicide, sexual moral and drug-induced insanity.

That in itself, together with the Chopin history parts, probably is what made me like the game, though. But it's when it takes you well over an hour of grinding battles to be rewarded with another depressing cutscene.. only to figure out you haven't grinded enough to win the boss-fight.. ..not so good.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: February 02, 2011 (10:28 PM)

I actually do enjoy the game for the most part, but especially the Chopin bits (I actually set my Pandora account to Chopin Channel while writing reviews). I just wish that there would have been more cohesion to the game all around. I never did think about the clash you mentioned, though: how there were mature themes with happy-go-lucky characters and a cute presentation.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: February 02, 2011 (11:22 PM)

lol. ..I think the high point for me was when Polka flutters down this mountain path, and then declares in a b-flat undertone that she is unfortunately suffering from a terminal illness, and will never experience adulthood. Which, she considers, would certainly allow her some latitude for a temporary bout of extreme selfishness. Humm, hah, tralalala. (Now, "repeatedly press X to hit monster with the Umbrella!").

At other times, it's just cute, though. "Jazz" and "Claves" being an item; you can see several sheets away that this is not going to end well :p

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.