Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Masters's Capcom Classics Collection: Reloaded review

This thread is in response to a review for Capcom Classics Collection: Reloaded on the PSP. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: July 02, 2008 (08:01 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Good review, Masters. I was engaged all throughout. Too bad SFII has issues.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: July 02, 2008 (08:15 AM)

Yeah, sucks. Made the whole thing almost worthless. Almost.

I dunno what's with me and all these compilation reviews. Good training in trying not to be boring I guess.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: July 02, 2008 (08:37 AM)

Use that training to write a Yoshi's Island review!

board icon
Posted: July 02, 2008 (09:19 AM)

Haha, what's with you and Yoshi's Island?

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: July 02, 2008 (09:29 AM)

You did not just imply that Yoshi's Island boring...!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: July 02, 2008 (11:46 AM)

I think he did.

board icon
Posted: July 02, 2008 (11:46 AM)

I didn't mean to. If you go to the game's page, you'll find my old account has a 9/10 review up for the game.

But as for why the reviewing world wants to see you write about Yoshi's Island, it's simple. Retro and I demand it. So that's everyone.

board icon
Posted: July 02, 2008 (12:00 PM)

Haha. You know Retro? I thought he was around well before your time..? He's a good man. Sometimes. =D

If I can get a hold of the GBA version, I'll play it on my DS and see what I can put together.

board icon
Posted: July 02, 2008 (01:01 PM)

No, I don't know Retro. But you told me that he wanted you to review Yoshi's Island. I'm just restating what you told me!

board icon
Posted: July 02, 2008 (01:26 PM)

Wow, I didn't think anyone listened to me. That's impressive. Are you also of the opinion that Yoshi's Island is the best 2D platformer of all time?

board icon
Posted: July 02, 2008 (02:27 PM)

Unfortunately I am not, but I do think it ranks pretty high up there.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: July 02, 2008 (09:30 PM)

For a second I figured Yoshi's Island would be a good game to review for the Alpha Marathon, getting that pesky Y out of the way, but then I realized the real title of the game is Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. So, uh, eff that idea.

Seriously. Who the hell calls it that?

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: July 03, 2008 (07:01 AM)

Ha, nobody does. The GBA title is even more retarded, if I recall correctly.

On a completely unrelated note, why does the new James Bond title have a Castlevania title? :T "Quantum of Solace?" Are they serious...

board icon
Author: psychopenguin
Posted: July 03, 2008 (07:40 AM)

Well there is always Yoshi's Island DS I suppose. I don't even think Nintendo would call YI SMW2 now, they obviously just did that to sell a few more copies (and it probably worked).

lol at the Castlevania thing.. I definitely thought that as well. I honestly thought QoS was the next CV game until I read it was the name of the new James Bond movie.

Another good review although I disagree with some of it. I love this collection for 1942, King of Dragons, and Knights of the Round alone. I found KoD and KotR to have great gameplay ideas with the leveling up systems, and found them to be far better games than FF which was fine but basically a typical beat em up with "attitude". And I liked Gun.Smoke even though it's hard >.>

(Also, good to hear good old Retro is alive and well. i miss that dude.)

http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=psycho_penguin

board icon
Posted: July 03, 2008 (08:42 AM)

Haha, I'll pass along your sentiment to Retro. Or better yet, I'll just direct him to this thread so he can bask in the love. ^_^ As far as the hack 'n slashers... I can see how you'd like them. I just found them to be slick Golden Axe wannabes... they just didn't do much for me. Gun.Smoke is ridiculous. =D Oh, and thanks for the positive feedback.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: July 03, 2008 (11:44 AM)

I've always preferred King of the Dragons and Knights of the Round to Final Fight. This was a great review, by the way. Once again, you really wrote a compelling review for a compilation. Capcom's attempts to emulate the arcade Street Fighter titles in their collections have been a disgrace compared to the excellent job they do on console ports, so I'm inclined to agree with this even without having played this particular edition.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: July 03, 2008 (12:54 PM)

Thanks Venter. Yeah, nothing worse than setting a guy up to jump at you, priming your uppercut, only to throw one of those pitiful jabs -- and ending up getting crushed by a energy draining combo.

I gotta say that I'm surprised that there are so many fans of that Knights of the Round game. Comparing it to Golden Axe makes me wanna go play Golden Axe again. But we know that that's probably a bad idea. =T

This message was deleted at the request of overdrive, the person who originally posted it.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 03, 2008 (04:07 PM)

I have to say I'm surprised there are so many fans of Knights of the Round. It's not a bad game, but didn't really stand out THAT MUCH in my mind. I think I mentally classed it as a decent Final Fight clone in a medieval setting, but nothing extraordinary.

Then, I've only played it on the SNES. I do have to give the system credit, though, in that they couldn't have neutered the standard difficulty nearly as much as they did with Final Fight in porting it over. I'll have to give it another try and review it sometime, like when I'm not making much headway in my main projects (in other words, probably in the next week or two, as I've been way more disorganized in my gaming than I need to be).

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: July 04, 2008 (07:46 AM)

Speaking of the pedestrian quality of KotR... anyone have any thoughts on the similarly ho-hum Magic Sword?

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 04, 2008 (10:12 AM)

Magic Sword....

Well, a few years back, when I discovered the magic world of emulation, I was going berzerk, snapping up virtually any console game that looked intriguing to me (both ones I owned and ones I'd just seen in magazines). Some I kept, others I dumped off after a few minutes of gameplay annoyed or bored me. I have no recollection of this game (SNES port), although I'd be surprised if I hadn't DLed it, as I remember thinking it looked fun in Nintendo Power.

So, to make a long story short, assuming I HAVE played it, it left no impression on me whatsoever.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.