Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > AlphabetOlympics Results

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: January 18, 2011 (07:15 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Your real name's on your profile and on your staff reviews. It's no real secret. =P

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: True
Posted: January 18, 2011 (07:24 PM)

Ha. I know, but people who have absolutely no interest in me know it now, too.

He's still my hero though.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: January 18, 2011 (07:32 PM)

Congrats to Emp, Suskie and Zipp for their superior placements and thanks to the judges for a lot of good critiques. This was a review I felt good about, so I have no complaints. When I almost average 90 for three scores (88.3, I think) and finish fourth, that says a lot about the caliber of competition this contest brings.

Oh, Leroux, you made good points on not explaining game experience aspects more. Since you specifically brought this up in the critic...the "Faux-Mode 7" bit was sort of a simple "WHOA! THAT'S ON THE NES!?" sort of thing designed more as a graphical effect than anything else. All of Butter Building is essentially you scaling a tower, although you can get sent to all sorts of locales during the course of this. Three (I think) of the six stages have sections where you're walking around the outside of the tower. Kirby moves left-to-right very slowly, while the tower behind you scrolls. Different, but kinda reminded me of that L4 SNES Castlevania section where you're doing a really simple platforming section but (when the game was new), it seemed trickier because of the background barrel-rolling effects. There wasn't anything tricky here, it was just a really basic walking thing with a few flying enemies to kill or avoid...but it seemed cool because the tower was rotating in the background, which you didn't get in NES games.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: January 19, 2011 (01:52 PM)

First thank you all for judging and putting this all together.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Felix - Yes I do need to work on HTML.

I had to re-read multiple sentences because there wasn't the appropriate punctuation in place to let me know that your thought was changing

It would help me lot if you were a bit more specific about which sentences you thought were a problem.

use the word food four times in three sentences was intentional for comic

You did not think that my pointing out that I died from lack of food amusing at the end of that paragraph?

I sense that you're striving to tell the reader as much as possible, but is it all important?

Correct, since the game is probably not well known I wanted to give as much information as possible. Important? I felt it was.

And by going into so much minutiae, are you perhaps overlooking the bigger reason behind why you wanted to write about the game in the first place?

I had not felt that way. I had thought my adding my personal touch (dying from lack of food, gambling tips and warning about the guards, to name a few) described my feelings of the game.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Leroux - I took your suggestions to heart but I felt changing the review after it had been posted a bit unfair and perhaps even against the rules.

But I wish a little more of the story was covered.

There actually is no real story. There is a lot of background story but none of that, or very little, is mentioned in the game. I could have been more direct about pointing that out.

what more this game could have done to be better and which aspects contributed more to the overall score than others

I will work on that after I finish RotW.

Masters -

I wasn’t sure if the fourth paragraph was a joke or not

Yes it was a joke, I am sorry that did not come across well.

Overall I got the impression you all did not feel I explained why I liked the game and why the reader needs to buy the game - fair enough. I thought I added things that made that point but apparently not strong enough. As I mentioned I'll look into that after I finish RotW.

Thank you for your comments and if there are things you need to further clarify but do not feel this is an appropriate forum I do have HG mail.

Congratulations to our winner.

-CD

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Author: turducken
Posted: January 20, 2011 (03:58 PM)

Far out.

"My father, the Emperor, had many powers of the Dark Side. But without three eyes he could never achieve perfection." - Trioculus

board icon
Author: asherdeus
Posted: January 21, 2011 (03:46 PM)

Thanks for the quality comments, judges. I faired about as well as I had expected with what I submitted, and though I didn't win, I feel proud of the review that I put forth. It couldn't have gone better. Thanks for throwing this one together, Leroux, always a blast.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.