Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > jerec's Fallout: New Vegas review

This thread is in response to a review for Fallout: New Vegas on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: January 16, 2011 (07:55 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Jerec, this is brilliant. I've had the game sitting still in its shrink wrap for months now, and it was going to stay there until I could be bothered to finish off Fallout 3. It's now the very next game on mt list.

I'll probably enjoy being a bastard, though.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: January 16, 2011 (08:11 AM)

Thanks EmP. The words for this just kept running around my mind in circles while I tried to sleep, so I had to get them written down. Last time I could summon that sort of passion about a game was for FFXIII, and that was not the good kind of passion.

I got the game back in November or so, played some of it and then didn't play it until a few days ago where I just played it all day for 3 days straight. I couldn't find time to play it when I had maybe an hour or two in the evening. Definitely a good game for the holidays when you can afford to play it all day.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: January 17, 2011 (09:45 AM)

Man. I must say, this review surprised me. While there were some (very minor) things that I didn't like, usually having to do with how you worded things, the sheer emotion you inject into this thing really shines through. It's quite touching and I've found myself feeling moved by your situation despite knowing that you're only talking about a video game. I guess that just shows how much games can affect someone if they're done properly. That certainly seems to be the case here.

Well done.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: January 17, 2011 (10:21 AM)

Mm. Awesome. Great narrative thread, and the review fits neatly together as a piece. This is a very good review, imo.

...I'm maybe wondering about is how the story and the dialogue is told. Did they finally create cutscenes, instead of these "zoom in and stop while talking" sessions..? So there's actual transitions in the game instead of corridors with doors that open after a monologue.. that kind of thing?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: January 17, 2011 (11:07 AM)

This is a good review. I'd played Fallout 3 for a couple days and it kinda fit in the "it's good and all, but..." category where the thought of finishing it didn't overly excite me. Because of that, New Vegas didn't really attract my attention all that much. After reading this review, I can see me buying it at some time, as you made it seem really cool.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: January 17, 2011 (12:07 PM)

Ooh, thanks for the feedback guys.

Wolfqueen - yeah, there's bound to be some strangely worded bits. I wrote it very quickly, very late at night and proofed it immediately after writing. In a couple of days I'll give it a slower read and see what stands out to me that can be improved. In my original draft I wrote conscience as conscious, and almost submitted it like that.

Fleinn - still the same game structure for dialogue. Some dynamic camera angles in conversations would have been nice, actually. It can be boring, visually, just staring at the character talking to you, but thankfully the dialogue is interesting enough that it's not really an issue.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: January 17, 2011 (02:21 PM)

I enjoyed this a lot. It made up for people at work who wouldn't stop talking about it and also discussed the moral dilemmas more than they did--which I like.

I think sometimes when you (the general you) stay up late to do something, you're too tired to take into account some of the things you let hold you back. You're not saying "gee, am I being new" or "gee, am I trying to be new?" or worrying about the small stuff. Which, like you said, can be fixed later.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: April 07, 2011 (03:13 PM)

I'm quite late. But this is a sweet review. Nicely done.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: April 07, 2011 (03:49 PM)

Thanks!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.