Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zippdementia's ICO review

This thread is in response to a review for ICO on the PlayStation 2. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: January 08, 2011 (09:06 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Mhm. Really like the review, Zipp. Starts a bit slowly, and ends subtly. But the large bit in between on the narrative technique in the title is great.

Not spelling out the course of the game also was effective, I think, because of the way you start - that it's a fairytale story, there will be a princess, a villain, a kingdom of some kind, and then an ending.

..but question: I haven't played the game - do you end up feeling you complete the story, or do you just go along with things until the end, so to speak?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: January 08, 2011 (12:28 PM)

There is definitely an ending, and it's one hell of an ending. I would say it concludes the characters emotionally, if not plot wise. You don't feel like their could be a sequel, though.

Oh, and thank you very much for the feedback!

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: January 08, 2011 (12:43 PM)

Okay, I made a couple very small additions to the end of the Tolkien paragraph to work that explanation in. Thanks for posting, Fleinn!

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 08, 2011 (12:50 PM)

I felt about the same ICO. Great game, amazing narrative. Good review, Zipp.

I felt like there could have been a sequel, just not a good one.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: January 08, 2011 (07:00 PM)

GEEK ALERT PROOFREADING MOMENT:

You misspelled Tolkien's book. It's Silmarillion. I know this because it's on my desk near my computer because during a power outage a month or two back, I started reading it for the SECOND time. There's nothing like a book where I have to go to the character index in the back every five pages to figure out who the hell this guy or that gal is.

Oh, pretty excellent review. My only regret will be the way your Swan Song goes down in flames to me.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: January 08, 2011 (08:24 PM)

@ Joethedestroyer: I think I WANTED there to be a sequel, but in the same way I want Snow Crash to have a sequel... I don't think it would actually be any good.

@ Overdrive: this creates nerd rage in me, because it is also sitting on my night stand and I can't believe I didn't spell it right.

board icon
Posted: January 08, 2011 (08:28 PM)

By the way, there's no way I'll lose to someone who has to use the character index while reading the Silmarillion. Pha.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: January 08, 2011 (08:50 PM)

You bastard...

There are OVER TWO PAGES in the index of characters/places whose names start with "El". How the hades am I supposed to know who is who? Other than intense concentration, which isn't my strong suit.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.