Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week, 26 December 2010 to 1 January 2011 (bloomer)

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: January 01, 2011 (09:30 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Review of the Week, 26 December 2010 to 1 January 2011

First Place

PaiMay's Street Fighter IV review (XBOX 360)

An evenhanded and very knowledgeable assessment of SF4, taking into account pretty much everything that can be taken into account and still managing to explain things clearly to people who haven't played these games much (like myself -- who's probably very much not the target audience, but anyway..)

Second Place

Fedule's Metroid: Other M review (Wii)

Fedule's Metroid Other M review was potentially intimidating at a glance, but this proved irrelevant as the review took me through a fairly complete and interesting history of Metroid games, then used this history to inform the review's own argument: That Metroid Other M is the bad product of one developers vengeful mania.

The review might be a little over-emphatic for a piece of writing decrying a game's over-emphaticness, and I felt it jumped the gun of overconfidence around the transition from the history to the analysis, sort of saying "If you've read all this, it must be obvious why the game came out badly" - which was the cause-effect the review was about to describe, but had not actually described yet.

In the end though, this review makes you feel like you struggled through Metroid Other M yourself, and illustrates its battery of points with a detailed evocation of Metroid Prime, which makes you feel like you played that game five minutes ago as well! This is an impressive feat.

Third Place

JoeTheDestroyer's The Adventures of Star Saver review (Game Boy)

This review demonstrates you can still get a lot of mileage from a hands-on review of a small, kind of weird, decent but far from spectacular platformer on an old handheld. There's good analysis of how the game's design faults lead to over-easiness, and a few amusing things for Joe to talk about.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 02, 2011 (01:31 AM)

Congrats, PaiMay! It's impressive to win ROTW on your first review, and it was a good one. Congrats as well Fedule, and thank you for the mention bloomer.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: Fedule
Posted: January 02, 2011 (07:59 PM)

I am defeated honourably. Congrats, all.

I always did find it difficult to not be overconfident. This is probably because I'm actually pretty darn confident in the statements I- I'm doing it again, aren't I?

•You cannot grasp the true form of Fedule's signature!

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 02, 2011 (08:51 PM)

Better to be confident in your statements than unsure. ;)

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.