Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Official RotW Topic 2011

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: September 16, 2011 (02:08 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

So many people just try to power through it only to make things significantly worse.

You mean like you? =/

But yeah. Really sorry to hear about that, CD. I know you told me something was up, but I didn't know what. But now it makes sense. Still, as bad and unfortunate as it is, it could be a lot worse. I'm glad for that, at least. STill, I hope you recover soon and can join us then, even if in a smaller capacity than before.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: September 23, 2011 (07:44 PM)

Well, since I'm moving in tomorrow (assuming nothing goes wrong at the last minute), someone will have to remind OD that his week is up next until I get my internet set up. (=P No, really; you've been really good about it lately; I haven't had to remind you at all. Thanks for that.) Not sure how long that'll take. Probably a few days, but could be a whole week or two. And, well, there is budgeting to consider, though really, considering how cheap my rent is, the cable/internet package should still theoretically be in my budget range.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: October 03, 2011 (06:23 AM)

Just a thought: might it be better to simply have a review of the week and no second and third places? Bloomer's RotW this week had me thinking... I wonder if it isn't patronizing to receive third place during a week when only four reviews were submitted? I dunno. The entrant pool has become so depressingly small that the placings seem to magnify that fact. Or how about Review of the Month, like they did back at GameFAQs? Just thinking aloud, really.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: October 03, 2011 (02:50 PM)

You have a point, Marc. Because of the lack of general activity on the site, I'm going to leave it up to the judges whether they want to include second and third place in RotW during weeks where only 3-4 users submitted anything. As for switching it to Review of the Month, if this doesn't pick up at all, then I may well do that. I suppose I'll give it to the end of October before deciding on this for sure. On the bright side, a monthly thing will give the judges more of a break between rounds, but it will also give them more reviews to read when their turn comes (at least if there actually is a week in which a significant amount of content is submitted. If not, then I imagine they'll be reading about as much as they would during a particularly productive week.)

Let me know what you all think about this.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: October 03, 2011 (03:11 PM)

I want to mention that Matt's Bodycount review still hasn't been upgraded to featured. Uh, so there...

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 03, 2011 (03:21 PM)

I like how I personally handled the previous week when I only had three reviews (gave Suskie the win after critiquing all three. It's giving everyone what they want (a praise-filled critique) which is what, to me, RotW is for. Letting people know what they did good.

As for possibly moving it to RotM, kinda lukewarm at best on that simply because while we're not getting much, what we're getting is good. I know with my last week, I only had three reviews but all three were placement worthy and fun to read. If it was a situation where I thought we were being forced to give wins to blah stuff because that's all we're getting, it'd be a different story, but it's not. We're getting really good stuff...just not as much as we have in the past.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: October 03, 2011 (03:29 PM)

Besides, if we went to monthly, you know what would happen? I'd wind up going first, there'd be a huge spike in reviews, I'd have 30+ and I'd likely cause poor WQ an ulcer trying to get me to get it done in even a remotely timely manner (ie: before the next month's was up).

THINK OF HER PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL HEALTH!!!!!

board icon
Posted: October 07, 2011 (10:35 PM)

Yeah, I don't know if I like the idea of RotM. I could see bi-weekly, but then what would you call it? Review of the Bi-Week? Review of the Half-Month? I mean, I know we have a reduced population, but maybe this will spur us to increase the pop a bit.

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: October 08, 2011 (09:00 PM)

Re: my 3 places for 4 reviews week. For the most part I haven't had only 4 reviews on my week. Usually I've have 5-12. Maybe that's just been a fluke.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: October 21, 2011 (05:23 PM)

Man, I forgot about this. =/ That's a bad sign when even the manager starts forgetting to stay on top of their stuff.

Marc, are you still sort of willing to do this? If not, then I may have to step in again... But I'm so scattered lately because of work and life (lol, not that I have much of one outside of work), that I might become as forgetful as OD. haha.

board icon
Posted: October 26, 2011 (03:52 AM)

Do forgive me, bloomer, for dropping so many reviews in one week. If you'd like, you can forgo including most of my reviews for RotW contention this week and only read the ones I'm submitting for Castlevania games (there will be three in all, unless my Symphony of the Night one doesn't drop before Sunday). If you do want to read every review I post, hats off to you. Just know that I don't expect you to read and consider all of them.

board icon
Posted: October 26, 2011 (07:16 AM)

Leslie: I'm doing mine today.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: October 26, 2011 (05:45 PM)

Whip left, whip right, whip whip whip!

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: October 26, 2011 (06:19 PM)

Only when it's necessary. haha

board icon
Posted: October 27, 2011 (01:07 AM)

I feel like we need a .gif to accompany Zig's statement.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 01, 2011 (01:35 AM)

Can someone do me a favor and volunteer to take this week (October 30 - November 5)? I have my reasons for making the request, which I would imagine some of you can guess, but I'd rather not explain myself here. So... any takers?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: November 01, 2011 (06:56 AM)

I could do it. What's your reason for asking? Also, are Lewis's entries permitted?

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 01, 2011 (01:51 PM)

Lewis should be counted, yes. I can tell you my reasons the next time we talk on AIM. Thanks for stepping up!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: November 16, 2011 (02:58 PM)

Marc has been removed from the rota. I have replaced his seat with myself for the time being. if anyone wants to take that role instead, just speak up.

board icon
Posted: December 12, 2011 (04:24 PM)

I'll be out of town and computer-free over xmas. So I'm looking for someone to stand in for me for December 18-24. The alternative is I do it, but it will be at least 1.5 weeks late.

board icon
Posted: December 12, 2011 (04:36 PM)

That's fine. I'll see if I can find someone, but if I can't, you may have to just do it late. Thanks for letting me know.

EDIT Failing that, I could just swap yours and OD's weeks if you'd both be okay with it. If not, then that's fine. Just another thought.

board icon
Posted: December 12, 2011 (07:50 PM)

That swap would be okay with me. We better see if it's okay with OD.

board icon
Posted: December 13, 2011 (12:29 PM)

I can do this. In fact, it might help with me being more timely with my next one if it's the week after this one and not this one.

board icon
Posted: December 13, 2011 (01:50 PM)

Then it's settled. Bloomer will have Dec. 11-17 and OD will have Dec. 18-24. The schedule has been updated accordingly.

board icon
Posted: December 15, 2011 (04:20 PM)

I just realised I'm gonna need a bit of staff assistance to help ram things into place if I'm to do the week of the 11-17.

I forgot that because I'm 15 hrs ahead of this site, I've got less time to do this than I thought I would, as I'm gone from Monday, my time. Also, I usually have to wait about a day or so from the actual cutoff point for the week to make sure all eligible reviews are up on the site.

So I wondered if some kind staff member could log on just after midnight of the 17th-18th HG time, put up any reviews from the 17th and earlier that are still unprocessed, and report in this topic when they have done so. It'll be 3-4pm Sunday here at that point, and that gives me a window of a few hours to do the RotW.

On the plus side, you get a very fast RotW. Can anyone commit to being 'that midnight person'?

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.