Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: 12/19-25, 2010 -- Holiday Edition

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: December 29, 2010 (01:01 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Due to the holidays and stuff, this RotW is a bit late. You know, like those holidays that pop up every time it's my turn to do this. It's kinda shameful this week, as there were only five reviews by a total of four people (you see, I remembered Masters is ineligible by choice this time!).

So yeah....stuff and rules. Let's do this.

THIRD PLACE: X-Men: The Arcade Game (XLA) by JANUS2

This is what I call a coin-flip review. On one hand I love it, as it's too rare that one writer pens a review for the purpose of directly rebuffing another review. The best example I remember of this was from a number of years ago when Zig did so to Woodhouse's praising review of some disturbing torture hentai. The fact I actually remember those old reviews of some game I've never played and likely never will tells me I like these "counterpoint" reviews. It creates the fun (at least for me) challAnge of reading both reviews, comparing the points and choosing which ones seem more in tune with my mindset. So, along the lines of providing a well-written review that makes me think, you succeeded like a mo-fo. For a contest setting like RotW, though, I'd be a bit less inclined to praise it, just because of those same reasons. It comes off as more of a well-written rebuttal than a stand-alone review. Where if you haven't read RD's Gameroni review, you'll likely be like, "Uh...he seems pissed about what someone said about this game." Or maybe I'm reading it like that because I read RD's first and then read yours after seeing the board thread about it. I'm starting to confuse myself now, so yeah. Here we are. I hope you're all proud of yourselves, making my head hurt like this. I need a drink or 10.

SECOND PLACE:

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: December 29, 2010 (01:14 PM)

Thanks for the RotW, OD! Lots of strong contenders that week, so I figured it could have gone to anyone. And yeah, Sonic 4 is such a shady release and one of the most depressing Sonic titles I've played.

Congrats to janus and asherdeus on their mentions. Both wrote solid reviews.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: December 29, 2010 (01:34 PM)

Congrats pickhut! Nice job.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.