Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Wizards & Warriors review

This thread is in response to a review for Wizards & Warriors on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: qxz
Posted: December 26, 2010 (09:01 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

JTD, I am also one of those guys who thought Wizards & Warriors was great gaming in the mid-1990s. My own recent playthroughs have tarnished my opinion of the game to some degree, though not as harshly as yours. I'm actually rather curious as through which perspective you were looking at W&W.

P.S. If you gave Wizards & Warriors a rating of 3, it might look like a 6 or better compared to its immediate sequel, the thoroughly broken Ironsword.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
-- Adam Savage

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: December 27, 2010 (01:14 AM)

I never considered the angle at which I looked at it, but I think it would be from today's standards. Even judging it from then, I think it still doesn't quite hold up. It might have been a 5 or 6 then, though. I think I liked it much more as a kid mainly because I didn't know how to analyze a game back then. I only thought, "Hey, I can actually beat this game," and that meant something to me then because beating a game was a rare occasion. These days, not so much.

As for Ironsword, I do plan to go through that one again. I liked it as well as a kid, what with it being my first NES game, but I'm not sure how I'll feel about it today. I do like that it's more challenging.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: December 27, 2010 (03:13 PM)

That's why I loved the game growing up, Joe. Its easiness. It was a game that I could go through and beat in a couple of hours, so I played it a lot. When I reviewed it, it was based on its own merits after not having played it for a number of years. I couldn't really understand why I liked it so much in the past.

As for Ironsword, I remember that game being weird...like, there was this point a bit before the Earth monster (maybe when you enter the Earth level) where you suddenly can't continue anymore or something like that, isn't there? But I LOVED the music in the area for the final boss. This light, airy happy-sounding stuff that was completely out-of-place for a final boss fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLwiC6GJg8U&feature=related
There it is. Not exactly apocalyptic end-of-the-world stuff.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: qxz
Posted: December 27, 2010 (03:54 PM)

I don't disagree that Wizards & Warriors is a game that's easy to complete. However, I find W&W's difficulty to be inconsistent -- especially if trying to complete the game on one credit -- but that's only because the enemies in the game cough up random goodies upon their deaths. I've had rounds where I've been able to make it far into the game due to a rather generous supply of health-restoring meat and red invulnerability potions; only once have I beaten W&W on the first credit. More often than not, I often have trouble making it past the third cave level before the dreaded "game over" screen.

Having said that, I'm the only person (so far) on HG whose opinion of Wizards & Warriors is positive, but only a hair's width. If I'm playing W&W for any length of time, it's only because I treat W&W as a quick, arcade-style experience.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
-- Adam Savage

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: December 27, 2010 (04:18 PM)

As for Ironsword, I remember that game being weird...like, there was this point a bit before the Earth monster (maybe when you enter the Earth level) where you suddenly can't continue anymore or something like that, isn't there?

There's a part where you can really get stuck and it can seem like you can't get out, but you actually can. I was actually stuck at that scene as a kid for few months.

And yeah, I remember that final battle. I never did beat that boss without a Game Genie. I came very, very close once.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.