Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > newalone4's BlaZeon: The Bio-Cyborg Challenge review

This thread is in response to a review for BlaZeon: The Bio-Cyborg Challenge on the SNES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: drella
Posted: June 30, 2008 (03:14 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This is getting retarded. A run-on sentence joke account? What's the point?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: June 30, 2008 (03:39 PM)

Though I could be wrong, and though I haven't read this particular review (but I did look at the Sinistron and Metal Black ones), I think this person is actually not someone's alt. I'm also willing to bet that this person is relatively new to the mix in the world of reviewing. We all start somewhere. If that's the case here, these efforts certainly could have been worse.

And then of course they could be better, as you have pointed out, Leroux. I think if newalone4 works on limiting lengthy sentences and completely avoids run-ons, these reviews would be decent.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: July 01, 2008 (12:22 AM)

I, on the other hand, rather liked it.

There's something to be said for avoiding run-on sentences, but if someone who reads the review needs someone else to actually point them out, then I'd say it's not a huge detriment.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Posted: July 01, 2008 (06:52 AM)

Run-on sentences are always a huge detriment.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: July 01, 2008 (07:12 AM)

I think Zero Punctuation might disagree with that, Felix.

It's definitely a problem here though. Still, I think it's fitting that such a redundant game be discussed with redundant prose.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: July 01, 2008 (09:43 AM)

Those guys iritate me.

board icon
Author: drella
Posted: July 01, 2008 (01:43 PM)

Here's one willthegreat. It's the first line:

"BlaZeon is one of the many SNES shooter titles that went unnoticed by the majority of the general public and after spending a lot of time with old school shmups I have to say that I agree with most that the experience of bog standard shooters like blah-zeon rival Melatonin in being making gamers drowsy, I have to say it's got a few charms scattered in its evidently flawed game design."

That would be a run-on sentence. So come on now. These reviews are chock full of them, and only the most inattentive of readers would consider this a debatable point. Blazeon, being the shortest, obviously has the least.

It's also not debatable that this person has a firm grasp on the language despite showing no understanding of sentence structure. So that is about as bizarre a flaw as I've seen. It's like being able to do any math problem... as long as a five isn't in the problem. I don't see how you can have a grasp of one without also understanding the other.

So this leaves two options:

1. Regular having some fun.

2. Newcomer that doesn't reread anything he types. Considering the number of newcomers this site gets (essentially, EmP's friends), the fact he immediately started writing about a former niche genre around here (16-bit shmups), the consoles (TG16 and Saturn, and imports) and the fact he immediately went out of his way to give RE4 on all platforms a "1" score -- which even if you don't like the game, would still seem to be an implausible stance to take, especially by someone who comes across as rational in evaluating games so far -- I thought this seemed unlikely. Especially on the heels of Suskie's attention-getting FFVII, where if I had to throw out a guess, it would have been dead-on.

So even if I'm wrong here, and I may be, I don't think anyone can fault the thought process leading to the assumption.

board icon
Posted: July 01, 2008 (02:40 PM)

This certainly is a strange situation. If the author will break their silence, I think everything will come out clear.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 01, 2008 (02:51 PM)

That's another one that ain't me. Although, at some point (maybe even THIS YEAR) I will do a review for Blazeon. Or BlaZeon: The Bio-Cyborg Challenge, as it actually seems to be called. Never knew it had a sub-title....or a capital "Z". Which might be the most interesting thing about the game.....

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: newalone4
Posted: July 01, 2008 (11:06 PM)

Maybe I am too much of a 'newbie' here. When I signed up here I was left with the impression that I could just do as I pleased and with so much to say I felt like depositing a few reviews about games that only I thought I and the few obscure/under-rated game lovers out there like myself cared about.

If all or most of you are going to be so bloody anal about run-on sentences and structure though, then why should I bother even stating an opinion?

I'll admit, I did kind of throw that review out impetuously and mostly to get an alternate opinion out; for that at least I am sorry, but if I come across as a downright idiot because of run-ons, then maybe you'd like to compare my review to the thousands of user 'reviews' consisting of a single paragraph and using the 'word' TEH in more than one phrase.

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: July 02, 2008 (12:42 AM)

I wouldn't take it so personally. The fine writers here are simply trying to offer advice to help your writing improve, which serves to help you get your opinion across better. That's always a good thing. You've gotta push yourself harder to get better, after all. Nobody's demanding perfection out of you, but the vast majority of us are here with the intent to not only write reviews, but write them damn well.

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

board icon
Posted: July 02, 2008 (03:16 AM)

Let me rephrase:

I did not find the presence of long sentences distracting as I read the review. At no point did I stop reading and think, "Gee, this guy makes a pretty good argument, but if only his sentences were a little shorter I might care what he had to say". Rather, I read through it, liked it, read this topic and, in mild surprise, re-read the review looking for run-on sentences because they didn't jump out at me before.

If it's a good review, it's a good review. Run-on sentences in a bad review look bad. Run-on sentences in a good review aren't distracting.

- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Posted: July 02, 2008 (07:16 AM)

This is a reviewing website. You can tell by looking at the front page. We expect reviews to contain good grammar. Fix that, and the reviews are fine. Otherwise, what's the point in stating your opinion if no one's going to take it seriously? You won't likely find paragraph reviews on this site (unless you look really, really hard). You won't find incompetent sectioned reviews. You'll find a lot of really good reviews. So obviously we care about the quality.

board icon
Posted: July 02, 2008 (01:51 PM)

You're starting to sound a bit elitist.

- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Posted: July 02, 2008 (02:19 PM)

So?

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.