Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW December 5th to December 11th

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: December 16, 2010 (04:31 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

On the one hand, this is late. On the other hand, there's a whopping two submissions for this week. On the third hand, I've had a bit to drink and I care not. So without further adieu I present Review of the Week - Intoxicated Edition.

For those of you playing at home, see if you can spot the typos!

Contestant bloomer with Dracula (C64)

What I liked: Very descriptive, great examples of stuff.
What I disliked: Length makes this tricky for me to get into. Actually, upon checking it's not abnormally long for some of the reviews we get, but it feels ponderous and long. Could be a pacing thing.

Contestant Zigfried with Splatterhouse (PS3) Disqualified due to judge's incompetence

Anyway, this week's Review of the Week champion is withheld temporarily whilst the judge's findings are reexamined

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: December 16, 2010 (05:13 AM)

Well, thanks for the comments, but I was expecting a JoetheDestroyer versus Me showdown, because Zigfried is on the 'don't include me in the ROTW' list...

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Leroux
Posted: December 16, 2010 (05:33 AM)

You also excluded Bloodstone 007 by Louis for no reason, a review well worth checking out.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: December 16, 2010 (06:43 AM)

That you feel it's necessary to discuss [the parent franchise] indicates, perhaps unfairly, that Splatterhouse is a weaksauce title.

How drunk were you?

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: December 16, 2010 (10:22 AM)

Dammit, Will... May I request in the future that you (or anyone, really) NOT do this thing when you're drunk?

Zig's reviews don't count for RotW because he specifically asked to be excluded. Therefore, you only really had to read three reviews -- the missing Louis_bedigan and Joe being two of then -- for this week.

In any case, it's done now, so there's really nothing to be done for it -- unless Zig endorses you doing a proper write-up of this thing. But I will request that you at leaast read louis's and Joe's reviews and give them some sort of feedback.

Regardless, I do appreciate you doing this (though I'm happy at all with the lateness or the mistakes). Just please pay more attention next time.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: December 16, 2010 (10:58 AM)

But... more than half of everything I do is done drunk.

This is going to kill my productivity.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: December 16, 2010 (11:26 AM)

^^
Indeed. I struggle to do things while sober. Drunkness is energy.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: December 16, 2010 (11:39 AM)

I tried writing while drunk before, and somehow managed to make a three letter word ten letters long. It's at that point I gave up and yelled, "Fuck, how did Hemmingway and King do this?"

That having been said, congrats to Zig on the fantastic Splatterhouse review!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Posted: December 16, 2010 (03:09 PM)

Damnation.

In any case I didn't exclude Blood Stone for no reason. I excluded it because it didn't show up on the list I use to check the most recent reviews and thus I had no idea it was even in my week. I submit that we need a better system.

- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: December 16, 2010 (03:17 PM)

I think that list might be games that are getting their first review. I've noticed that most of the games on that list only have one review. In the case of mine and louis's, they were for games that already had reviews, and thus didn't appear on that list. At least that's my guess.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Posted: December 16, 2010 (04:55 PM)

> In any case I didn't exclude Blood Stone for no reason. I excluded it
> because it didn't show up on the list I use to check the most recent
> reviews and thus I had no idea it was even in my week. I submit that we
> need a better system.

We already have one, and it's the one WQ specified you should use in the ROTW management topic.

On the front page of the site, under User Reviews, click MORE, then you can specify the number of days you want to look back.

I'm not impressed by the making of so many mistakes while proclaiming drunkeness. Don't be drunk, or try to check that you aren't making mistakes, or both.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: December 16, 2010 (05:32 PM)

Fair point. My apologies for executing a fuck-up of such epic proportions.

On the other hand, internet review contest. v0v

How about we call this week a miss and I write some sober feedback on the reviews I missed via the feedback system, so those I overlooked won't feel too cheated?

- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Posted: December 16, 2010 (05:42 PM)

No, you need to strictly follow the rules! Remember when I pointed out awarding Edward Randy was old material and felt there were more deserving reviews, and got told it was eligible by the letter of the law and not the spirit?

Well, this time the letter of the law says Zig cannot win. I'd think we'd all like to let you off the hook, but I'm afraid our hands are tied!

board icon
Posted: December 16, 2010 (06:29 PM)

Indeed, sir, indeed.

Results are retracted temporarily whilst I redo them.

- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Posted: December 16, 2010 (06:37 PM)

Ha. I was only kidding, but if you were going to leave feedback anyway I guess might as well.

board icon
Posted: December 16, 2010 (08:26 PM)

> On the other hand, internet review contest. v0v

Our ancestors fought and died to defend your right to judge an internet review contest!!!

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: December 17, 2010 (06:25 AM)

My RotW is probably not going to happen since there's only one review so far. I'll still read it.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: December 17, 2010 (09:07 AM)

RotW is supposed to happen as long as there's at least one review, Jerec, but... I do wonder about the necessity of making an actual topic for it if there's just one. If no one else submits anything today or tomorrow, I'm inclined to have you just post a feedback topic for Joe's review and just announce there that he's the default winner.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: December 17, 2010 (11:02 AM)

The hell am I going to let Jerec have an easy week.

To the review office!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: December 17, 2010 (11:20 AM)

Blood Stone: 007 (X360) - December 07, 2010
Madworld (WII) - December 08, 2010
Dracula (C64) - December 10, 2010

I believe these are the three to be in RotW.

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.