Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW for Nov. 14-20, 2010: Late and brief, but with a compromise

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 24, 2010 (10:00 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I face a conundrum. I've been swamped by a work project and forgot this was my RotW week. Said project is due Sunday. Tomorrow, I'll be eating turkey and I fear all the gorging I'll do will kill any desire to be productive. Friday is a pure-ass work day. Saturday...OSU vs. Michigan means I'll be incoherently trashed by around noonish. Sunday, I'll be finishing the project unless a miracle happens and I get it done tomorrow. This puts me in danger of being well beyond not only the desired promptness, but EVEN beyond typical OD lateness.

A compromise was necessary. So, to quote Bud Light commercials, HERE WE GO! This is going to be brief. As in, possibly no more than an acknowledgment of your place (if you placed). However, if anyone, placer or not, wishes a more detailed critique, let me know on this thread and you'll get one next week. That way, I can get this done in at least a reasonably (for me) timely fashion AND you can eventually get a quality critique if you desire.

Anyway, usual rules. One placement per customer; no Zigs allowed.

THIRD PLACE: Fable III (XBox 360) by asherdeus

I've never played a Fable game or even had a real desire to. They just come off as over-hyped things that don't grab my attention. Like, good in concept, but their reach exceeds their grasp. But because of the hype, I WANT to believe each one will be good. You do a great job of showing how this one fails to accomplish what it sets out due to boring "social hour" meetings, the concept that good-or-evil is flawed because you SHOULD be better than the actual king, etc.

SECOND PLACE: Contra: Legacy of War (PlayStation) by pickhut

The pure sarcastic venom carries this review to greatness. Little touches like including the hero's "bio" (what is this, a Contra dating sim?) brought great happiness (and pity that you had to endure this game). You tend to be consistently good, but the disdain you had for this game raised YOUR game to a very high level.

OVERDRIVE PLACE: Eliminate Down (Genesis) by Masters

I think you said this is a rewrite or something. Regardless, this was my favorite review of the week. Just an amazing bit of writing that wonderfully accentuated how you feel this game is awesome level-by-level without (and this is big) really giving away those huge "should be discovered by the player" things. You simply weave this amazing word tapestry that gives tantalizing hints as to what this game provides. I really have to play this one sometime.

Like I said, if any placer wants a more detailed critique or if any non-placer wants a critique, let me know and I'll work on it next week. This was one hell of a week for submissions as there was no shortage of really good reviews. In fact, this week could have served for the average monthly HG contest, with the caliber of submission. Great job, all!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: November 25, 2010 (12:43 AM)

No Masters either. :P

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: Leroux
Posted: November 25, 2010 (05:32 AM)

OD's right that this was a really good week. I really dug Clash at Demonhead from JtD, who's really hitting a stride lately.

board icon
Posted: November 25, 2010 (07:43 AM)

Leroux, Joe's Clash was, I think, my top non-placer. Really brought back memories of the time I rented that game back in high school. Three days of really having no clue what the hell was going on, but getting an immense amount of enjoyment. Someday, I have to play that one again.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 25, 2010 (09:50 AM)

Thanks for the very kind words, Rob. As Jerec pointed out, I exempted myself from RotW, so I didn't expect this. I actually only figured it out when I saw that I earned one of those HG ACHIEVEMENTS for winning a RotW.

Anyway, it's unfortunate that my inclusion pushed down Joe the Destroyer from receiving some well deserved recognition, but it looks like he received it after the fact anyway, which isn't so bad. Thanks again.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: November 25, 2010 (03:12 PM)

I honestly didn't know you had exempted yourself from RotW, Marc, so my apologies about all that. Still, I will not apologize for giving that kickass review the recognition it deserves, whether it actually should have received it or not!

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: November 25, 2010 (05:02 PM)

It was a heavy-hitting week, so it's cool to see I got second place! Thanks for the comments, OD. It was one of those games I wanted to get out of the way as fast as possible because of how bad it was, so I'm actually surprised myself that the review turned out the way it did.

Congrats to Masters for getting RotW.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: November 25, 2010 (10:35 PM)

Thank you, Leroux, OD, and Masters (and congrats, too)!

This was a really hot week. I'm not going to lie. That Elimnate Down review blew my mind! Very energetic.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 26, 2010 (07:15 AM)

Thanks, guys.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.