Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > drella's P.O.W. Prisoners of War review

This thread is in response to a review for P.O.W.: Prisoners of War on the Arcade. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: June 28, 2008 (05:31 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I always really liked this when I put money into in the day. That's because it's too hard and cheap for you to get far enough - when it's costing you your pocket money to play - to realise how repetitively (and cheaply) difficult it is. This still doesn't worry me. I enjoy firing this up on MAME and just not playing very far. The way the guys hunch and punch is a way cool visual. I also love the music.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: drella
Posted: June 28, 2008 (06:01 AM)

I'd have to agree. The first five minutes I played P.O.W. I didn't think it was that bad -- pretty much the same as any other pre-Final Fight beat 'em up. So at sporadic five minute intervals, it understandably can be kind of fun.

But I think this is true of almost every beat 'em up, barring poor physics and collision detection (so count out Mug Smashers, The Combatribes and a few others). Punching guys in the face those first few minutes will always be the same amount of fun. A few beginning over-the-top scenarios like in The Punisher or C&D stand out, but really each initial level one impression feels the same a lot of times. If I had to choose between five minutes of this or Double Dragon, it'd be close to a draw.

What usually defines the cult classics from the trash -- or at least, the way Fix and I always viewed the genre, which may or may not be correct -- is how much the developers mail it in the rest of the way. Are they still trying? Is this still somewhat beatable and are they still trying to avoid repetition and keep it fun? And the answers here seemed flatly "no." So it's understandable to get some fun out of this title, but you could probably get that same amount out of anything in the genre (and potentially a lot more). That's why I usually just throw away my "is it fun for a quick play" impression. There's no definition there.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: June 28, 2008 (06:29 PM)

Yes, that is an excellent point about the lack of distinction. For gameplay it's all true. Especially for POW's gameplay. All I can say is that I still like the first 5 mins of POW more than a lot of other beat em ups, heh. It's funny, I never liked Double Dragon, just on an overall aeshetic call. I took one look at the way the people moved and punch and stuff and it didn't draw me to drop my 20 cents in there.

I think TMNT is probably one of the best arcade beatemups for consistently being interesting. I spent a fortune on Final Fight too, but lots of the bosses were total brickwalls for me. I just couldn't afford to spend that much to get to another level. Again, I'd rather replay the opening stretch.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: July 03, 2008 (01:17 PM)

Haha, this is a funny review, well done. It's also gotta have the distinction for most F bombs dropped in a review. ^_^ I don't remember thinking this game was as bad as you see it here, but then, I played something like five minutes of it. I've always loved Taito's Thunder Fox, which has a similar look to it. Have you played that one?

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: drella
Posted: July 03, 2008 (01:29 PM)

Maybe, but if I did I don't remember it too well.

board icon
Posted: July 03, 2008 (01:40 PM)

I think it's like POW, only it's fun.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: July 03, 2008 (01:42 PM)

Thunder Fox is awesome because it's so stupid. I love how the two dudes rip their shirts off and then whip out their combat knifes to take on a whole army terrorists. One knife swipe kills 3-5 bad guys or something silly like that. And when you fire the rocket launcher and hop aboard a jeep, you drive just as fast as the rocket. Good, campy stuff.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Posted: July 04, 2008 (07:51 AM)

Ha, Thunder Fox IS dumb. But it's actually playable. Gotta love being able to fly that hovercraft thing and play it like a hori shooter, or ride the jetski thing and dodge spiked mines and divers. It's a random stew, but that's a lot better than POW's neverending stream of predictability.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.