Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > In the End, There Will Be Only Darkness: The Results!

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: November 20, 2010 (10:44 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Thanks to both of the judges for their very detailed responses. Congrats to WQ and whoever else may have scored higher than me.

Ben: I recommend you check the feedback thread for True's Enslaved review. I was basically playing the game while I was writing that stuff, and as you can see, I was totally flipping a gasket. And you know what? The camera is the key reason for that. Seriously -- it's the worst thing about Enslaved. Like, you'll be fighting a robot, and everything's going fine, and then the camera will decide to do a 180 spin for no reason whatsoever, and suddenly you can't see who you're attacking. It's ridiculous. I'd be able to put up with the combat if it wasn't for the camera, and that's the main reason that area of the game is such a drag.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 20, 2010 (11:14 AM)

Genius! I really think WQ deserved this. After all, it was her review that ultimately convinced me to spend some money last month when I was literally having trouble affording friggin' apples at the grocery store.

This has been a good contest. The judge's comments told me exactly what I've been wondering about my style for a while now: where does it fit in? I'm beginning to see that I'm most pleased with my writing when it doesn't fit in and while that may not nab me the highest scores or ever win me the team tournament, it does seem that it at least comes across as fresh and interesting. So thanks for that; I'm beginning to reach a place where I'm comfortable with what I write and how I write it and it's mostly due to these numerous contests and the judges who take the time.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 20, 2010 (01:23 PM)

RAGE!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: November 20, 2010 (01:32 PM)

Hey, True.... good news: Blue Lacuna is free. I would take advantage of that, if I were you!

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 20, 2010 (02:29 PM)

I uh... Wow. Well, thanks for the 'win' guys. I've never actually won a contest before, so this is a first for me. I guess I technically can't complain about never winning a contest anymore. I mean, I expected to do well here, but not this well. There were some great reviews (and reviewers) that I never expected to beat. So that's cool.

However, I am wondering why you couldn't have just tied EmP and myself with first place, since he technically won. That way True wouldn't have had to spend 8mmillion dollars shipping it to England, so I'd get the book, and we'd both share in the victory (I'm totally fine with ties). But, oh well. It's done now and I'm quite content with it.

Congrats to everyone who participated.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: November 20, 2010 (03:26 PM)

I think EmP is joining the "Zig" ranks, in that he's not allowed to win anymore. When I was doing the ROTW, I had to judge him on a far harsher scale than everyone else, something I've had to do in the past with Suskie, Zigfried, and Sho in various contests.

board icon
Posted: November 20, 2010 (05:13 PM)

Haha. That's true. And someone just pointed out to me that one of the rules stipulated that True can award any bonus for whatever reason he chose, so I guess I can't really argue with that. XD

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: True
Posted: November 20, 2010 (05:43 PM)

Thanks, Ben, again for judging this one and I appreciate everyone who showed up and wrote reviews. You guys did a good job and I'm glad Furry Face finally got what she deserved.

However, I am wondering why you couldn't have just tied EmP and myself with first place, since he technically won.

He did, unfortunately even with a tie I would have been screwed because--and I never stated this--first and second places are getting a copy. So I had to implement something that would put Emp even lower. I feel kind of bad for him ending up at the bottom, though technically he didn't lose. He scored higher than anyone. But due to an unfair deduction by a douche bag judge he lost.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Posted: November 20, 2010 (06:12 PM)

Isn't Overdrive overseas, too?

board icon
Posted: November 20, 2010 (06:20 PM)

Haha. No. Unless he moved sometime recently, which I doubt. >_>

board icon
Posted: November 20, 2010 (06:52 PM)

Heh. Hey, True: Are you on AIM anymore?

board icon
Posted: November 20, 2010 (06:55 PM)

Maybe there should've been a rule stating that the two highest placed Americans would win the prize.

Hmm...maybe, but I kind of had more fun screwing Emp.

:D

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 20, 2010 (08:44 PM)

If Emp's going to say that he and Zig won MOTO, then I'm more than happy with how I kicked his godforsaken Brit arse around the park in True's tournament. And if I get a free book out of it, more the better for me!!!

Ben: The best way to explain the shooting system is as this: It was a few months ago that I played this game. I didn't initially review it because I felt my thoughts came out too similarly to Zig's in his review. For this contest, I decided to try again. Honestly, I had few actual memories of the shooting system. There wasn't anything bad, but anything exceptional was a byproduct of the movie-style setpieces (for example, the Kathmandu helicopter attack part is f-ing amazing to experience...but the actual action is standard "progress until you find rockets and then rocket it to death" stuff. But it looks and feels so cool that it's easy to forget this is just a "survive until provided with weapon" sort of challenge. For the most part, the regular gun stuff was good, but nothing to go crazy over. Nothing bad about it, but due to the general easiness of the game, it came off as just ways to fill the time between the cinema. This game is the perfect rental, as it's utterly awesome that first time through...but to me, it would lose a lot after you know its tricks and stuff.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: November 20, 2010 (09:43 PM)

Heh. Hey, True: Are you on AIM anymore?

Rarely. I've been so friggin' busy with this calendar I'm hardly even at home.

board icon
Posted: November 21, 2010 (02:04 AM)

I've finished the final edits on it, I'm just waiting for the cover and I will order them. It took them about seven business days.

No rush you two, but if you could at some point HG Mail me your address I will see that you get it soon.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: November 21, 2010 (02:15 AM)

I was wondering how I managed to fall short of my pattern of always placing second, but if the top two highest scorers win, then third place is actually second! It's all falling into place!

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: November 21, 2010 (02:14 PM)

Hey True, when are you going to send me the copy of your book you promised me 16 months ago?!?!

Congrats to the winners!!

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: asherdeus
Posted: November 21, 2010 (11:51 PM)

Really appreciate the comments on this, guys. Great tournament and I'm absolutely impressed with how much feedback you offered everyone. Really glad I participated and Ben, you're absolutely right - I guess there is more to the game than kill, kill, kill! I guess I should clarify that there isn't much more to do during the on-foot segments besides kill, kill, kill. Good luck with the book, True. Make sure to let us know how we can purchase it, I'd like to support you.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: November 22, 2010 (11:29 AM)

Thanks very much for putting together the tourney and your thoughts. I think you're right, Ben, about a lot of the stuff I can do. I'll look into it. I think this was a really good tournament and I'm glad I was able to contribute to the celebration of True's big accomplishment in some way.

Congratulations to all. Maybe I can complete my book, and if the quality of entries in any corresponding contest for me were anywhere close to this--I'd quite frankly be very flattered.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.