Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Call of Duty: Black Ops review

This thread is in response to a review for Call of Duty: Black Ops on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 15, 2010 (08:44 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Good review Venter. Your thoughts pretty much mirror my own, though I'd say the weak single player would drop my score to a 7, say. But yeah. Also, the lack of a spec ops split screen mode hurt the package as well in my eyes. Ah well, thank God for Nuketown.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: November 15, 2010 (08:46 AM)

Why isn't this focus windowed?

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 15, 2010 (10:16 AM)

You focus window it.

I'm always doing the focus window while everyone in Canada slacks. No more!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: November 15, 2010 (10:29 AM)

Awesome job, Emp. =D

Watch the hits roll in now! Or something...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 15, 2010 (12:23 PM)

I'm another gamer who needs a good single-player campaign to consider a game worth more than a rental. This isn't the first review of this game I've read TODAY on a site you own, Jason, that really makes me think that unless I decide to become a huge "multiplayer is the only thing that matters" gamer, I'd get little enjoyment out of this one.

I understand the popularity and importance of multiplayer, but I wish more emphasis was placed on making single-player more awesome. Then again, my best friend and I have spent much of our time bitching about how, for a long time, Madden would be doing all this online or multiplayer stuff while not tightening up the numbers attributed to game-generated draft picks (so you could get a guy with 99 speed and mid-50s acceleration or some other really wacky, unrealistic combination of numbers), so I've long been easily annoyed by anything I consider to be "too much" emphasis given to anything that's not pure single-player.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 15, 2010 (12:37 PM)

I just played my first multiplayer Black Ops match. And won comfortably.

I may end up liking this game.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 15, 2010 (12:51 PM)

I really do enjoy the multi-player and I wanted to be sure to communicate that in my review, but the single-player really was a disappointment for me. I'm glad that I seem to have communicated that appropriately. I didn't want to focus the review myself in case someone else had plans for the time slot, so I created focus window artwork just in case (to make it easier for anyone who might decide to focus it) and left it at that. I have to say... seeing my review in the focus window without putting it there myself is nice! ;-)

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: November 15, 2010 (01:03 PM)

Emp, what did you play, Team Deathmatch? What is 'winning comfortably?'

Also, are you on PSN or XBL?

board icon
Posted: November 15, 2010 (01:04 PM)

And OD, yeah: stay the fuck away.

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: November 16, 2010 (10:44 AM)

Although I enjoyed the single player campaign a lot more than honestgamer evidently did, the review makes a very good point: my favourite games, the ones I still play today after sometimes as long as twenty years, have been (due to their pre-internet age, frequently) unaffected by changes in community, developer collapse or withdrawal of support. This just isn't going to be true of any Call of Duty. Play CoD 3 today - there's no one online. And the campaign, though decent, just doesn't keep me coming back. so I acknowledge that, however much I liked the campaign in Black Ops, I won't still be playing it in a year, never mind ten.

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.