Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > It's time for Review of the Week - October 31st to November 6th, 2010

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: November 09, 2010 (10:19 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This RotW is almost late. Almost, but not quite! It's tardy at any rate, and I apologise.

But you aren't here to read about why I don't get things done on time, you're here to find out who trounced who this past week. And I shan't disappoint.

Let's start with...

Runner Up - Pickhut, with Muscle March (WW) (Wii)

It's no secret that I have a soft spot for reviews that dismantle terrible games with humor and wit, so that may be why Pickhut's piece appears here instead of others. It's funny without being silly, and scathing without being harsh, and I just love that shit.

Second Place First Loser - Wolfqueen, with Eschalon Book II (PC)

This review fascinates me. Your descriptions of the world of Eschalon, narrations of gameplay and mechanics, and exposition on the setting are all intriguing and capture my attention. But I feel like part of the reason is that you've reviewed an exceptionally detailed and captivating game. I don't feel as though a lot is done to take these elements and make them your own, to put your own spin on them. This piece would benefit a lot from a stronger narrative voice, everything else it's got down. Also, half of me wants to hear more about experiences with other character builds and how they work instead of just your ranger, but the other half thinks that leaving it out makes the reader want to attempt it themselves that much more. Take from this what you will.

Your Champion, and Winner of the Hardest Name to Type Award - SamildanachEmrys with Pirates! (NES)

Arr matey, any landlubber could pen an entertainin' tale aboot Sid Meier's lesser-known creation. But here, ye've spun yer experiences with this game into a narrative the likes of which Davy Jones 'iself would crawl from the murkey depths te lend an ear too. And t'ain't but the saltiest sea dog who's capable of such a thrillin' retelling.

**AWK! Thrillin' retelling! Thrillin' retelling!**

This piece here, t'is long, but without bein' unwieldy, and chock full o' flavour and detail that makes me old heart sing. T'is a story told well, so it's a double ration of rum fer the likes of yeh. Now get back to work!

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 09, 2010 (11:41 PM)

Samildanach will be pleased to hear that, I'm sure! I definitely thought this deserved it this week. There were so many good reviews, but this one just had an incredible amount of jive (jibe?) to it.

I actually think I would've chosen the exact same line up, though my write up wouldn't have been as well written and I would've probably talked about someone who I thought was in this week but was actually not...

... because of course it's all about what I would've done!

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 10, 2010 (06:11 AM)

Thanks, Will. This was a strong week, so I can't really complain about second place. =P Congrats to Samil...unpronouceable for winning and to pickhut for placing.

As an aside, I didn't experiment with other character builds - do you have any idea how long that would've taken me? Lol the review would never have gotten written! - so that's why it's just about my ranger.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: November 10, 2010 (10:15 AM)

Thanks! I'm deeply gratified and a little bit afraid that I've made review of the week. It's good to know people get some enjoyment out of my procrastination (I should really be writing historical analyses rather than game reviews, but never mind eh?)

Oh, and people generally call me Sam or Sammy or Samil, things of that nature. I know the full name is an inconvenience. :p

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: November 10, 2010 (10:58 AM)

Thanks, Will! Appreciate the mention and the comments about the review. And congrats to Sam for getting RotW. I'll admit I haven't read it yet due to being occupied, but I'll be sure to check it out now since Will has arouse my interest!

I head spaceshit noises.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than Aresmeryism requested its removal.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than Aresmeryism requested its removal.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: November 11, 2010 (12:39 AM)

^Spam, spam, spam, spam, eggs, and spam.

Anyway, congrats everyone. Great picks this week. Thank you, Samil and Wolfqueen, for piquing my interesting on Pirates! and Eschalon, respectively. And thank you for the warning on Muscle March, Pickhut.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 11, 2010 (08:20 AM)

I take full credit for Wolfqueen's placing so high. But not for her NOT winning. That was Emp's doing.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.