Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zigfried's Super Sprint review

This thread is in response to a review for Super Sprint on the Arcade. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 07, 2010 (07:51 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

The Izzy's pizza in Bend, OR used to have this game. I remember playing it when I was a kid. I have it on retro compilations now, and it's fun even with a controller. More people should definitely look into this one, though I still recommend Super Off-Road on consoles. Good review, by the way!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: November 08, 2010 (06:29 PM)

I played this in the arcade on a few occasions (probably years or months apart). This review makes me feel I should have put in a few more 20 centses at one sitting. Because below unskilled there is another category I didn't leave, and it is 'incompetent' :)

But I guess I had no pocket money, and dad would let me play one game per occasion. Usually before a movie in town, or before we bought a hamburger while on holiday. So when I played this game and crashed really fast, I was unlikely to spend my one game money on it next time.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: November 09, 2010 (05:09 PM)

..lol. I just remembered - the first game I played must have been RC Pro AM on the NES. hm.

..But Offroad Racer on the Amiga is still a solid title, imo. Had massively better animation, gameplay and resolution compared to the nes version. Strange.. that I haven't heard of any solid remakes of that one..

Btw, great sentence:
"Most players will quickly realize the true nature of the deceptive diagonal path and avoid it."

:)

There's a "1080 degrees spin" in there, unless that was deliberate. Like the intro to drift and braking. The entire gradual throttle and break mechanism with an on/off button really was extremely good. Gremlin rescued that with Supercars - but Super Sprint did it best.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: November 09, 2010 (05:37 PM)

The 1080 degrees is intentional, because that lets people keep going in a straight line =D It does happen sometimes.

Thanks for the comments all! After playing it again (the last time was years ago), I was pleased by how well it has held up -- and how I was able to notice new things about it.

//Zig

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: November 12, 2010 (11:16 AM)

I really want to try this game now. Even in Pole Position, which seems inferior and less difficult, people managed to make it look so easy I got frustrated when I couldn't.

Once I learned to drive in real life, driving games got easier--so I'm thinking I missed out on a big sub genre I want to look into now. But I don't want just some schleppy driving game, and I want to try that shortcut.

And I'll cook myself a Tombstone pizza and pretend I'm playing it in a pizza parlor when I'm using MAME. You know, I'd forgotten about video games in pizza parlors.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.