Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Hook review

This thread is in response to a review for Hook on the Arcade. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Leroux
Posted: October 19, 2010 (07:22 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This is an interesting review. I think it's pretty much expected I'm going to comment on any beat 'em up review submitted, but this approached Hook with a certain amount of enthusiasm I didn't remember having about the game.

So I read the review a second time. Then I replayed Hook. Then I started working on my own Hook review (early going still), instead of X-Men. Then I watched the movie to jog some memories. Then I read the review again.

Ultimately, I'm not quite as big a fan. I see issues with this title -- primarily, especially repetitive enemy patterns and easily countered boss tactics -- that make it a lesser of many beat 'em ups. I'll give an example: wave after wave in Final Fight are the same characters, but often very unique: 6 El Gados at one point, 2 Bull Bills and 2 Poisons and 2 Two P's at another, then 3 El Gados, 1 Andore and 2 Bill Bulls. Each wave within a level feels very unique.

Hook isn't like that. Many of its waves are exactly the same, and even if they weren't the individual enemies do not provide contrasting enough tactics. Every time two fat pirate guys enter, it always is the same challenge (and those fat pirates guys were way too easy).

I also noticed most bosses were susceptible to the 'shadow tactic' where you're immune directly behind them. The guy who dropped the stalactite ring was neat, until you realized you could just wait and jump kick him in the face over them every time. The log swinging guy always seemed to be backing away from me. Weak sauce bosses I thought. So that's a preview of my review if I ever finish it.

But the review I liked, and if I were in a really generous mood maybe I could go as high as a seven. I'm thinking it's a pretty mediocre five, because if I get a review out for it, I don't think I'd ever see any reason to play it again. Ultimately, that jives pretty well with your conclusion of "Feed this game a quarter or two, but don't expect it to replace any of your favorite brawlers." But it doesn't land in the second-tier for me, either, I guess. You mentioned the same two cool parts I noticed though -- Pan's whirlwind at the end of a combo and the environmental hazards. Good eye there.

I didn't like a few particular lines however, where the review just veers from its ultimate conclusion. "Your brain becomes one with it." "The game blindsides you. You expect everything from it, and at the same time nothing." Those seem to go against the final image a non-groundbreaking brawler gives, or maybe I'm just not following the train of thought, but I think you lose sight of the thesis while trying to hold reader interest. The Richard Simmons shotgun line leaves me feeling more confused than anything too.

Still, good review (the review had an approach that made it seem like a 'ride' through your thoughts on the game, which I liked), and since it's probably really creepy that someone is spending this amount of time discussing Hook I am going to stop now.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: October 20, 2010 (12:06 AM)

Thank you, Leroux! You've given me things to consider, particularly the odd parts that probably should have been clarified or dropped.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: October 20, 2010 (04:12 AM)

Never knew about a Hook beat 'em up. I remember playing an adventure game, though... years back. I never made it past getting all the bits for my pirate disguise. No internet back then and I was probably too young for that sort of game. Didn't discover Monkey Island until a bit later.

Now I want to track down that game and give it a shot.

Really like the movie, too.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.