Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Enslaved: Odyssey to the West review

This thread is in response to a review for Enslaved: Odyssey to the West on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: October 17, 2010 (05:24 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This was a terrific review, Mike! I had already picked up a PS3 copy of the game based on the merit of Heavenly Sword and the comments I've been hearing about how pretty and interesting this new title is, so your review didn't convince me to buy the game the way it otherwise would have. Instead, it refueled my interest in opening the game and playing it right now. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do that thanks to other commitments. Either way, it's nice to see this review on the site and I hope it has as much impact on other readers as it did me.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: October 17, 2010 (06:24 PM)

True's review had already convinced me... now I'm doubly convinced.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: October 17, 2010 (06:42 PM)

Thanks a lot. After sleeping on it, I eventually decided that Enslaved is a game that everyone needs to play despite everything it does wrong, so I'm glad that came through. I would've recommended renting it, though. I did that and came away satisfied.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: October 17, 2010 (10:15 PM)

I'm pretty sure that (literally) the last game I rented was one of the Dreamcast launch titles. Rentals are too expensive around here. I literally lose less money (by the time you factor in store sales and my employee discount) if I buy a game and play it, decide I don't like it and sell it on eBay at a minor loss from the retail price. That might cost me a buck or two in a lot of instances, and that would've probably applied in this case. Of course, if I keep a game I lose a lot of money... and I pretty much always keep 'em.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: October 19, 2010 (12:27 AM)

Renting games, to me, isn't always about simply trying them out. I typically only buy games if I'm sure they'll give me a lot of value for my money, either because they're long or because they've got things like multiplayer or extra modes to extend the playtime. Games like Enslaved I only tend to play once anyway, so if I can finish them within the period of a rental, then I'm getting all of the value I can out of the game and I pay a fraction of the price.

I got into that habit last year, when there was a video place near me that offered two-day game rentals for four bucks. I got used to playing through games very quickly and paying a minuscule fraction of the retail price.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: October 19, 2010 (01:51 AM)

Renting games is a lot more difficult now that Hollywood Video is closed. There is that netflix-like game rental site somewhere.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: October 19, 2010 (07:48 AM)

Blockbusters are closing down everywhere, but there are still a few near me. There actually used to be a Hollywood Video in my area, like, a decade ago, and then it shut down and was replaced by a Blockbuster. Now that's gone, too.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.