Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > aschultz's Super Basketball review

This thread is in response to a review for Super Basketball on the Arcade. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: October 15, 2010 (08:46 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Schultz, you have a way of making games sound dreamy. I like that the bulk of your review is partially gameplay breakdown, partially your experience with playing the game. Good review, I enjoyed it!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: October 16, 2010 (09:05 AM)

Glad you enjoyed the review! There aren't many games you can laugh at for clear mistakes and still just enjoy. Super Basketball is one.

But be sure to have turbo/autofire working, though. And, of course, the MAME cheats are handy if you just want to play the world champions. Maybe I should add that there are no continues.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: Leroux
Posted: October 16, 2010 (09:57 AM)

Haha. This is the first basketball game I've heard of with a dribble button. I can't imagine what they were thinking.

The premise of this game sounds cool though. I'm gonna have to check it out. Nice review.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: October 16, 2010 (10:30 AM)

I really liked this review, too. When I first opened the review, I thought I was opening a review for the 2600 basketball game. The screenshots puzzled me for a few seconds.

That "jumping without vertical movement" sounds (and looks!) really weird. Cool detail to bring up.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Leroux
Posted: October 17, 2010 (06:15 AM)

Given that I worked long hours (for the third straight week...) leading up to the software freeze at work, and yesterday was spent tailgating Halladay/Lincecum and spending way too much for standing room only seats (damn Cody Ross), and the fact someone on staff already made the focus window...

... SUPER BASKETBALL is this week's impromptu Sunday Cabaret! I'd be hard-pressed to write a better review this week. Awesome work by ASchultz bailing me out.

You'll still see X-MEN very soon. I promise. I'm actually trying to find an arcade with the double-wide monitor for accuracy.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: October 18, 2010 (07:45 AM)

Wow, thanks Leroux and Zigfried! I was worried this review might be derivative of the 10 yard fight review I did. I'm glad I can be a stopgap for a week (a review a week to HG standards is tough even when you know not many people will see it,) and I'm glad you had fun with the game. Hope everyone who plays it enjoys it.

Accessing HG after a busy weekend and seeing the screenshots and wondering what happened was amusing--but much appreciated.

One thing I couldn't/didn't fit in the review is that the crying players seem cribbed from Konami's more popular Track and Field, which is also a good oldie game. At least, if you use the trak-ball control.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.