Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week (October 3 - October 9)

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: October 15, 2010 (02:26 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Welcome to this delayed telecast of Review of the Week. There were a lot of reviews this week, and I’d already had to read a bunch of them. Let’s get on with it. One interesting point to note, if the RotW schedule hadn't been completely fucked up a few weeks ago, causing a date shift, none of these MOTO reviews would have been in my week and I would have got this done on time.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK - Donkey Kong (Arcade) Leroux_Deux

I love this retrospective piece on Donkey Kong. Leroux has obviously done some research, and is incredibly familiar with the game. Even though he wasn’t even alive when all this was happening, you kinda forget that due to how credible he is. This review made me remember Steve Kent’s The Ultimate History of Video Games and the same things that made that an enjoyable read were also present here. The balance between reviewing the game and looking at the time it came from is perfect. This is a definite feature review for the site, and is the sort of thing you want to advertise to casual visitors to the site.

FIRST PLACE AMONG LOSERS - Comic Jumper (XLA) (X360) overdrive

Comic Jumper is one of those games I’ve been following for a while, since it looks pretty fun (like ‘Splosion Man). I now have a good idea what to expect, I especially liked the comparisons to older games, and the challenging bosses. I’ll definitely be grabbing this one when I want something new to play (or maybe I can wait for the deal of the week, since 1200 points seems a bit steep). It makes me happy to see Honestgamers.com get a good review of a new release very quickly. Overdrive, I like to see you review new releases.

THIRD PLACE - Saira (PC) dragoon_of_infinity

Sorry, I’m going to be lazy and just c+p my MOTO critique. Saira sounds like a fascinating game. You really hooked me in on that sense of loneliness, being “the only person of consequence”. I prefer reading about little-known indie games which I can easily find (once I know about them) than some import that went out of production 15 years ago. Anyone who stumbles upon this review while browsing the site will want to check this game out, I know I do. Your descriptions give me a real sense of the game that I probably wouldn’t get on the download site. Your familiarity with Nifflas lends credibility to the piece, you’re obviously familiar with this guy’s work and you recommend this title. Great review

Some other good reviews this week that didn’t make the cut were Schultz’s interesting review (which would have done quite well if he’d used it in the MOTO) JoeTheDestroyer’s reviews are decent reads, though I had trouble picking a favourite from them. Lots of stuff.

This topic probably wasn’t worth the wait. See you next time.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: October 15, 2010 (02:37 PM)

As you said, it's good to see a contest bring out a lot of good reviews.

I had a feeling my Neuromancer review might be better received but didn't know about submitting GameFAQs remakes. Besides I said "It's not obscure! It's based on a relatively well known book!"

The critiques from the MotO have been helpful, though.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: October 16, 2010 (04:38 AM)

2 for 2 for a returning Leroux. Can anyone stop his newest wave of terror.

(Yes. Me. Next week!)

Futher congrats to DoI, who wrote his peice rusty and was supported only by a tidal wave of nagging. As with most tourney deadline weeks, there was a lot of fantastic reviews submitted -- thanks to everyone. Aside from Masters.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: October 16, 2010 (04:46 AM)

I probably shouldn't submit GameFAQs remakes/semi-revamps, but I figured what the hell. Fate and The Hunt for Red October were all new ones. Thank you for the mention! I like seeing my name in places I didn't put it. :)

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.