Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Leroux_Deux's Donkey Kong review

This thread is in response to a review for Donkey Kong on the Arcade. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: October 03, 2010 (09:19 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

The error pointing out bit:

Miyamoto helped design early Nintendo title such as Sheriff and Radar Scope

Titles?

The overall picture:

Sheer brilliance.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Leroux
Posted: October 03, 2010 (09:42 AM)

Nice catch. Thanks.

This message was deleted at the request of Leroux, the person who originally posted it.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: October 03, 2010 (09:49 AM)

Read every word -- it's a wonderful pair of stories and I look forward to what the Sunday Cabaret will offer in the future! I always sucked at Donkey Kong, but my brother was an ace. That's how I knew about the elevator and conveyor levels (which were not in the lame 2600 port)

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: October 03, 2010 (10:08 AM)

Speaking of lame 2600 ports, that reminds me to announce next week's feature is DOUBLE DRAGON.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: October 03, 2010 (11:01 AM)

An old hint book covering 16 arcade games told me that in the arcade version of Donkey Kong, barrels will not come down a ladder if Jumpman is on it and his head touches the platform above (but obviously not too far so you don't collide with the barrel rolling down the platform). I can't vouch for the accuracy of this on arcade versions as I've never played one, but I can report it does not work on the Commodore. Ow.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Posted: October 03, 2010 (11:03 AM)

Not true in the arcade version either.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 03, 2010 (01:38 PM)

Speaking of lame 2600 ports, that reminds me to announce next week's feature is...

There was a near-infinite number of directions you could have gone with that. Double Dragon, though, is one of the most blatant examples.

Utterly kick-ass review here. Great from beginning to end!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: October 03, 2010 (05:40 PM)

Another small error:

. Pauline has lost her lunch pail, telephone and parasol and Mario can acquire these items scattered around the structure for bonus point.

points.

I've got to say, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this event. I mean, I expected great writing, obviously, but I wasn't sure how different it would be from a standard review. I'm quite impressed with how much knowledge you have (or researched) about this game. It's really quite fascinating to read; I never realized that many of these "simplistic" games had such complicated histories.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: October 04, 2010 (06:04 PM)

Yeah I definitely appreciate the extra research in this review.

Re: WQ, these early games often have very twisty histories for lots of reasons. Because the industry wasn't on rails yet - because when people came up with new ideas, the medium was new, so they generally were new ideas. Because nobody was sure what would be a financial success but everyone wanted one. And the stories tend to be more interesting because they're about individuals most of the time, rather than about a team of 120 people.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.