Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > pickhut's Halo: Reach review

This thread is in response to a review for Halo: Reach on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: September 28, 2010 (02:57 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I actually just had a conversation the other day about Reach's campaign and whether or not it was a smart move for Bungie to essentially play it safe. I'm glad they did, but I like that you compared Reach to some of the bigger moments from ODST's campaign. I have a tough time thinking of that game in especially positive terms because of the stupid sandbox element (like you said), but I think I agree that Reach is slightly lacking in major standout moments. I don't necessarily think that's a problem since I consider it the series' most consistently enjoyable campaign to date, but to each his own.

By the way, this review didn't mention the Flood at all, so I have to ask: Am I the only one who hated them in the previous campaigns and was glad to see them gone? Because I feel like I am.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: September 28, 2010 (03:12 PM)

I liked the Flood in the first Halo game, but thought they were annoying in Halo 2. I'm mixed about them in Halo 3, though. Their first appearance in that game wasn't bad, but the Cortana mission... The first time I played that level, I was irritated as all hell, though, on repeat plays, I didn't find it as bad. Maybe it's because it was placed so close to the ending.

I'll give Reach credit for giving me the craving to go back and replay all the Campaigns, as my memory is kinda fuzzy on the earlier games. I still remember key moments, though, like the library... and the repeating structures... and... I should stop before I change my mind.

Oh, and thanks for reading the review!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: September 28, 2010 (04:41 PM)

Though I disagree with the points you made, pickhut, I felt that this was one of your finest reviews to date. Your writing was assured, thorough and engaging. Keep up the good work!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: September 28, 2010 (09:44 PM)

Thanks for the feedback, Venter! I was kinda concerned about the length of the review, since I rarely write reviews this "big", and I was worried it was going to be too talky for people to want to read from start to finish.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: September 28, 2010 (11:54 PM)

You know, I think the one thing I don't like about this review is the incessant Bungie bashing, specifically the part where you hint that they "just didn't care." Dude, I don't think I've ever seen a developer that demonstrates more love of the craft and commitment to their fans than Bungie. Say what you will about how well they did with Reach, but few developers care more than Bungie does.

Otherwise, good review.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: September 29, 2010 (04:32 AM)

I don't understand the post. I only said it felt like they didn't care that much with Reach, not the entire Halo series, but then you also made that point in your post as well.

As for developerment teams that care, I'm gonna have to say I believe Valve does a better job at that.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: September 29, 2010 (04:39 AM)

If Valve cared more, they'd release good games.

[Obligatory controversial statement of the week]

I've started spending a lot of time in multiplayer recently, and I can see where you're coming from sometimes. At one point, I spawned three times in a row and got my head blown off before I even really knew I was back. I've combated this mainly by staying in Rumble Pit and Firefight.

Disagree with a lot of the single player observations. I don;t like the Reach campaign as much as Halo 3, but it had some real stand out moments. Not enough damn tank, but driving a vunerable mongoose through the legs of rampagaing sacarbs and praying a stray plasma blast didn't hurl you off course was fantastic.

I'll get around to a review of my own soon. Promise.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: September 29, 2010 (10:54 AM)

I had a terrible first experience with that moment because I let Emile drive XD. He kept hitting the brakes every 2 seconds... I'm shocked I didn't die. He failed the jump, though.

I guess I'm just really disappointed that this was how Bungie's final Halo game was going out, so I was annoyed at certain aspects of Campaign.

I head spaceshit noises.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.